Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Finding Aid for the Ralph Waycott collection of papers the regarding Appleton/Waycott house, 1950-2007 0000311
0000311  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (52.35 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Access
  • Custodial History note
  • Preferred Citation note
  • Biographical/Historical note
  • Scope and Contents note
  • Related Archival Materials note

  • Title: Ralph Waycott collection of papers regarding the Appleton/Waycott house (Los Angeles, Calif.)
    Identifier/Call Number: 0000311
    Contributing Institution: Architecture and Design Collection, Art, Design & Architecture Museum
    Language of Material: English
    Physical Description: 3.5 Linear feet (1 box and 2 rolls)
    Date (inclusive): 1950-2007
    creator: Waycott, Ralph

    Access

    Partially processed collection, open for use by qualified researchers.

    Custodial History note

    Gift of Ralph Waycott III, 2011.

    Preferred Citation note

    Ralph Waycott collection of papers regarding the Appleton/Waycott house (Los Angeles, Calif.), Architecture and Design Collection. Art, Design & Architecture Museum; University of California, Santa Barbara.

    Biographical/Historical note

    The Appleton/Waycott house is the product of three architects. The original adobe structure was built in 1925 for the Gillis family and included a living room, small dining room, kitchen, guest bathroom, bedroom, and bathroom. Between 1925 and 1941 an addition was made to the property, which was a separate structure of Spanish Colonial Revival design. After WWII, the Gillis family sold the house to the Appleton family. The Appleton family hired architect Cliff May to integrate the two structures on the property, in order to create a much larger home, which was built in the late 1940s. The Waycott family purchased the house from the Appletons.

    Scope and Contents note

    The Ralph Waycott collection of papers regarding the Appleton/Waycott house spans 3.5 linear feet and dates from 1950 to 2007. The collection is composed of papers, including correspondence, reports and legal documents, photographs, drawings (some copies from the Cliff May papers at the Architecture and Design Collection), maps, and reports, gathered by Ralph Waycott III, regarding the history of the Appleton/Waycott house and the 1925 Robert Gillis adobe hunting lodge that was part of the original fabric of the house. Cliff May expanded the original Gillis lodge for Francis Appleton in 1946-1948, making a 5-bedroom house. The Waycott family purchased the house in the 1950s.
    After the death of the elder Waycotts, the neighbors in Sullivan Canyon tried to declare the house a Historic Cultural Monument. Waycott gathered these materials to contest the application.

    Related Archival Materials note

    Cliff May papers, Architecture and Design Collection. Art, Design & Architecture Museum; University of California, Santa Barbara.

    Subjects and Indexing Terms

    May, Cliff, 1908-1989
    Waycott, Ralph
    Architectural drawings
    Blueprints
    Correspondence
    Photographic prints
    Reprographic copies