Guide to the Stanford University, Center for Integrated Systems, Records
Stanford University Libraries. Dept. of Special Collections & University Archives.March 2013
Copyright © 2013 The Board of Trustees of the Leland Stanford Junior University. All rights reserved.
Call Number: SC1147
Creator: Stanford University. Center for Integrated Systems.
Title: Stanford University, Center for Integrated Systems, records
Physical Description: 0.25 Linear feet
Summary: Background and planning documents relating to the founding of the Center for Integrated Systems.
Language(s): The materials are in English.
Repository: Dept. of Special Collections & University Archives.
Stanford University Libraries.
557 Escondido Mall
Stanford, CA 94305
Phone: (650) 725-1022
Gift of Gregory Kovacs, 2013.
The materials are open for research use.
All requests to reproduce, publish, quote from, or otherwise use collection materials must be submitted in writing to the Head of Special Collections and University Archives, Stanford University Libraries, Stanford, California 94305-6064. Consent is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission from the copyright owner. Such permission must be obtained from the copyright owner, heir(s) or assigns. See: http://library.stanford.edu/depts/spc/pubserv/permissions.html.
Restrictions also apply to digital representations of the original materials. Use of digital files is restricted to research and educational purposes.
[identification of item], Stanford University, Center for Integrated Systems, Records (SC1147). Dept. of Special Collections and University Archives, Stanford University Libraries, Stanford, Calif.
Stanford University Website Collection (SC1015)
The proposal for the Center for Integrated Systems was written in 1978 as a joint effort by Electrical Engineering Professors Michael J. Flynn, James F. Gibbons, John G. Linvill, and James D. Meindl. Included in the proposal were the statements:
“The products of the Center for Integrated Systems will be educated people, primarily doctoral student, and research results.” …and
“Research results coming out of the studies at the Center for Integrated Systems and, in particular, from the experimental work involved at the Center are projected to be of significant usefulness to the sponsors of the research and to the industrial community to which the Center is connected.”
Linvill, Meindl, and other colleagues had realized that the exponential growth of semiconductor technology was creating problems and challenges that were too big and complex for one discipline to tackle. The process of designing integrated systems was beginning to involve computer architects, circuit engineers, material engineers and software design engineers. Linvill and his colleagues wanted to bring together the best people from all the fields, which contribute and/or make use of integrated circuitry, which would also enable close interactions with industry. In 1980, the CIS Development Committee, headed by John Young, president of Hewlett-Packard, was formed. Working with this committee, Linvill began recruiting companies to underwrite a new research center that is now the Center for Integrated Systems.
Originally housed in the basement of the McCullough Building at Stanford, ground was broken for a new building in 1983 and the present CIS building was completed in 1985. The heart of the CIS building is its 10,500 square foot integrated circuit fabrication laboratory. Surrounding the laboratory are smaller supporting laboratories, several conference rooms and both open and closed offices.
On March 26, 1984, the president of France became a Stanford student for a day. Francois Mitterrand visited the Center for Integrated Systems to meet with Stanford professors and technology magnates to learn more about the emerging economic powerhouse called Silicon Valley.
In 1996, the CIS building was expanded due in large part to Paul Allen’s (Co-founder of the Microsoft Corporation) gift to the School of Engineering. The building was subsequently renamed the Paul G. Allen Building. The new extension provides 52,000 gross square feet to service various labs and conference areas.
Original Industrial Sponsors were:
Digital Equipment Corporation
Fairchild Camera and Instrument corporation
General Electric Company
GTE Laboratories, Incorporated
International Business Machines Corporation
Monsanto Electronic Materials Company
Philips Research Laboratories/Signetics Corporation
Texas Instruments, Incorporated
United Technologies Corporation
In addition to Mr. Allen's gift, the following donors contributed to make the building possible:
Apple Computer, Inc.
Peter G. Behr
Estate of Eleanor Buchanan
Cypress Semiconductor Corp.
Estate of James D. Fleming
Ford Motor Company
William R. Hewlett
The materials consist of background and planning documents, meeting minutes, correspondence, and proposals relating to the founding of the Center for Integrated Systems at Stanford University.
Feigenbaum, Edward A.
Hellman, Martin E.
Linvill, John G., 1919-2011.
Meindl, James D., 1933-
Miller, William F.
Stanford University. Dept. of Electrical Engineering
Electrical engineering--Study and teaching.