The Richard B. Taylor papers span 75 linear feet and date from circa 1956 to circa 1990. The collection contains architectural
drawings as well as landscape architecture drawings; reprographic copies; presentation drawings; specifications; master plans;
materials relating to the American Institute of Architects in the form of newsletters, ephemera, and letters; trade catalogue
samples; public work standards; and slides. Designs executed by Taylor include landscapes and buildings in Santa Barbara,
Montecito, Santa Maria, Ventura, Lompoc and Oxnard.
Richard B. Taylor was born in Greensville, South Carolina on February 19, 1926. He received both his BS and BA in architecture
and landscape architecture from the University of Virginia, graduating in 1948. After Naval Officer’s training he studied
at the, Ècole de Fontainebleau in France and received the distinction of Certified Architect. Following his studies at the
Ècole, Taylor went on to practice architecture in South Carolina and teach at the University of Georgia before coming out
West to lecture at the University of California, Berkeley. In 1956, Taylor arrived in Santa Barbara and over the next 36 years
completed projects as an architect, landscape architect, and planner in the Tri-County area. Notable projects include: Pershing
Park (15 acres of landscape design), Shoreline Park, landscape design of Santa Barbara City College, St. Andre’s Presbyterian
Church, Parma Elementary School, three seaside residences in Isla Vista, and the Mission Plaza in San Luis Obispo. Richard
B. Taylor died in 1993.