The Beale's Cut Photograph Album
contains 24 color slides and photographs of Beale's Cut, located in the Newhall
area of Los Angeles. In 1854, Phineas Banning created a narrow cut through the Newhall
Pass area, to accommodate stagecoach traffic to Fort Tejon. In 1861, President Abraham
Lincoln appointed Edward Fitzgerald Beale as Surveyor General of California and Nevada.
Beale expanded the cut to three times it’s original size, and named the passage after
himself. Throughout the late nineteenth and early twentieth century, Beale’s cut was
used as a transportation passage and overland mail route, until the Newhall Tunnel was
constructed in 1910. During the silent film era, Beale’s cut became a favorite location
of movie producers like John Ford and D. W. Griffith.
Copyright for unpublished materials authored or otherwise produced by the creator(s)
of this collection has not been transferred to California State University,
Northridge. Copyright status for other materials is unknown. Transmission or
reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond
that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners.
Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of
the copyright owners. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.