PLACERVILLE AND SACRAMENTO VALLEY RAILROAD COLLECTION

1860s


Descriptive Summary

Title: PLACERVILLE AND SACRAMENTO VALLEY RAILROAD COLLECTION
Dates: 1860s
Collection Number: MS 142
Creator/Collector: Placerville and Sacramento Valley Railroad
Extent: 1 oversize box
Repository: California State Railroad Museum Library
Abstract: Select traffic records from the Placerville and Sacramento Valley Railroad.
Language of Material: English

Access

Collection is open for research.

Publication Rights

Copyright has not been assigned to the California State Railroad Museum. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Director of Collections. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the CSRM as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the reader.

Preferred Citation

PLACERVILLE AND SACRAMENTO VALLEY RAILROAD COLLECTION. California State Railroad Museum Library

Acquisition Information

Transfer from California State Parks, Museum Collections (Margaret Kelley Collection).

Biography/Administrative History

The Placerville & Sacramento Valley Railroad, 26.20 miles between Folsom Junction and Shingle Springs, was incorporated June 12, 1862, and constructed between 1863 and June of 1865. Mortgage on the property was foreclosed on May 21, 1869 and sold at judicial sale July 2, 1869 to William Alvord. On July 21, 1871, title was conveyed to Alvord who, on the same day, conveyed to Collis P. Huntington, Leland Stanford and Mark Hopkins of the Central Pacific. These three, in turn, by deed of sale dated May 28, 1877, transferred the property to the Sacramento & Placerville Railroad. The P&SV was operated by its own company from August of 1864 to July 21, 1871, by Huntington, Stanford and Hopkins to January 1, 1873, by the Sacramento Valley to April 19, 1877, and by the Sacramento & Placerville from April 19, 1877 to May 28, 1877. The P&SV did not own any rolling stock, and leased their engines and cars from the Sacramento Valley Rail Road. [Guy Dunscomb, A CENTURY OF SOUTHERN PACIFIC STEAM LOCOMOTIVES, 1862-1962 (Modesto, California: 1967), p. 391]

Scope and Content of Collection

A leather bound volume of pre-printed forms dated 186- to record the number of tickets sold each day of the month at the following stations: Placerville, Diamond Springs, El Dorado, Shingle Springs, Latrobe, Cothrin's, White Rock, Folsom, Alder Creek, Saulsbury's, Patterson's, Junction, Brighton, Sacramento, Freeport. There is no information recorded in this volume.