Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Finding Aid to the William Wildschut Manuscript Collection MS.600
MS.600  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (77.26 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Overview
 
Table of contents What's This?
Description
This collection consists of typed manuscripts for The Crow Indians, volumes 1 and 2, and Buffalo Days and Danger Trails - Biography of Two-Leggings, volumes 1 and 2 by William Wildschut, as well as correspondence between Wildschut and Southwest Museum director F. W. Hodge dated between 1941 and 1942.
Background
Two Leggings (ca. 1847-1923) was one of the last Crow Warriors. From 1919 to 1923, he told his story of Crow life and wars to William Wildschut, an ethnologist with the Museum of the American Indian.Born Willem Wildschut on March 30, 1883, in Jisp, the Netherlands, Wildschut managed factories and with his family moved frequently between the Netherlands, Canada, and the western United States. Around 1918, his company transferred him to Billings, Montana, and he was immediately fascinated by the Apsáalooke peoples and started purchasing objects from them. In 1922, George Gustav Heye bought Wildschut's collection of medicine bundles from him for the Museum of the American Indian, Heye Foundation. After this initial purchase, Wildschut officially collected and conducted field expeditions in Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Canada, and North Dakota on behalf of the Museum. Wildschut was a member of the Explorer’s Club, was a Freemason, and published several articles in the Museum's series Indian Notes. On May 1, 1928, Heye was forced to let Wildschut go for lack of funds. Wildschut died in Oakland, California on January 7, 1955. Several books based on his manuscripts and field notes were published after his death by Heye, Peter Nabokov, and John C. Ewers.
Extent
0.5 linear feet (1 box)
Restrictions
Copyright has not been assigned to the Autry National Center. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Autry Archivist. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Autry National Center as the custodian of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the reader.
Availability
Collection is open for research. Appointments to view materials are required. To make an appointment please visit http://theautry.org/research/research-rules-and-application or contact library staff at rroom@theautry.org.