The Paramount Pictures production records span the years circa 1924-1970 and encompass approximately
290 linear feet. The collection contains documentation on most Paramount sound films released between the
1930s and 1970s. The files originated from several studio divisions, including the Production Department,
the Budget Bureau, and the Production Estimating Department. Often included are budgets, costs, call
sheets, reports, schedules, and script supervisor's notes. More than 1,000 unproduced projects are
represented, often with pre-production information related to story rights, scenario costs, or budget
Paramount Pictures, Inc., is one of Hollywood's oldest continually operating film studios. Its history
began in 1912, when studio executive Adolph Zukor imported the French feature film QUEEN ELIZABETH,
starring Sarah Bernhardt, and used it to launch his Famous Players Film Company. Famous Players merged
with the Jesse L. Lasky Feature Play Company in 1916 to form Famous Players-Lasky, which acquired a
controlling interest in Paramount Pictures Corporation, a distribution entity founded in 1914. In 1933
the company declared bankruptcy, Lasky was ousted, and the company underwent reorganization. It emerged
as Paramount Pictures, Inc., with Zukor serving as chairman of the board emeritus. Gulf+Western acquired
the company in 1966, followed by Viacom, Inc., in 1994. The studio is located in Hollywood.
290 linear feet of papers.
Property rights to the physical object belong to the Margaret Herrick Library. Researchers are
responsible for obtaining all necessary rights, licenses, or permissions from the appropriate companies
or individuals before quoting from or publishing materials obtained from the library.
Available by appointment only.