Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Finding Aid for the ANTA West records, 1958-1977 (Collection LSC.1965)
LSC.1965  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (64.49 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Restrictions on Access
  • Restrictions on Use and Reproduction
  • Provenance/Source of Acquisition
  • Preferred Citation
  • Historiography
  • Scope and Content
  • Organization and Arrangement

  • Title: ANTA West records
    Collection number: LSC.1965
    Contributing Institution: UCLA Library Special Collections
    Language of Material: English
    Physical Description: 6.75 linear ft. (15 boxes)
    Date (inclusive): 1958-1977
    Abstract: ANTA West was a non profit corporation organized in the state of California, in September 1957, to stimulate public interest in the performing arts and to foster and support live theatrical activity. The collection consists of files related to their activities and includes meeting minutes, committee reports, correspondence, financial records, and publications.
    Physical location: Stored off-site at SRLF. Advance notice is required for access to the collection. Please contact UCLA Library Special Collections for paging information.
    Creator: ANTA West (Organization)

    Restrictions on Access

    Open for research. STORED OFF-SITE AT SRLF. Advance notice is required for access to the collection. Please contact UCLA Library Special Collections for paging information.
    Box 15 is restricted from access.

    Restrictions on Use and Reproduction

    Property rights to the physical object belong to the UC Regents. Literary rights, including copyright, are retained by the creators and their heirs. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine who holds the copyright and pursue the copyright owner or his or her heir for permission to publish where The UC Regents do not hold the copyright.

    Provenance/Source of Acquisition

    Gift of William Wintersole.

    Preferred Citation

    [Identification of item], ANTA West records (Collection 1965). UCLA Library Special Collections, Charles E. Young Research Library, UCLA.

    Historiography

    ANTA West (American National Theater and Academy West) was originally chartered as the Greater Los Angeles Chapter of the American National Theatre and Academy, Inc. In the early years, the organization was also known as the ANTA Southern California Chapter and/or the ANTA Los Angeles-Southern California Chapter. In May 1957, John Angelo and David Bond, along with a group of about one-hundred West Coast participants, met with ANTA National Executive Director Willard Swire, and it was decided that a Los Angeles ANTA chapter would be formed. Angelo and Bond were selected as co-chairs of a temporary action committee to work with ANTA Regional Director Wray Davis. Later that month, the first organizational meeting was held at the Huntington Hartford Theater with more than 250 people in attendance. Among the panelists at the first meeting were David Bond, Wray Davis, Jack Morrison (UCLA drama department), Kent Smith, and Grayce Smith. A major outcome of the meeting was a decision that a California non-profit corporation be formed; Grayce Smith, a prominent theatrical attorney, was to prepare the incorporation papers. A temporary board of directors was appointed to draw up a constitution and by-laws for the chapter. Seventy-five members supported the founding of the local Southern California ANTA chapter.
    In July 1957, a second meeting was held to update members with progress, aims and requirements. By September 1957, approval was secured for the non-profit corporation and proposed constitution and by-laws were submitted to the national ANTA for consideration. A nominating committee was chosen and a new board was elected by popular vote: Helen Ainsworth, Jon Angelo, David Bond, Gilmor Brown, Dr. James Butler, Wray Davis, Nico Lek de Tachinville, Charles Lane, Kate Drain Lawson, Jack Morrison, Maddie Norman, Dr. David Sievers, Clarence Straight, Walter Wanger, and Harry Zevin. The first board of directors met in December and elected officers to serve for 1958: David Bond, president; James Butler and Maddie Norman, vice president; Harry Zevin, secretary; and Nico Lek de Tachinville, treasurer. An executive committee was elected to be the operating body of the chapter. The greater Los Angeles chapter of ANTA was now charted, incorporated and functioning. In 1974 the organization renamed itself ANTA West.
    Throughout the years, their mandate, to stimulate public interest in the performing arts and to foster and support theatrical activities, remained constant. Chief among their aims and objectives were the support and production of quality theater events locally and nationally, the encouragement and assistance to accredited training in the performing arts in colleges and universities, and facilitating training workshop opportunities for theater professionals. Their many activities over the years included: the publication of a local newsletter to disseminate information about theatrical activities and opportunities in the Southern California area, the radio broadcast of ANTA Newsletter-of-the-Air on KUSC to report on the current theater scene to the community, partnering for the productions of "Our Town" and "I do, I do", the sponsorship of the American College Theater Festival, workshops and other educational opportunities, the support for Children's theater festivals and other local, state, county and regional activities, and the innovative operation show bus program, which provided tickets and bus service to students to introduce them to the theater. Over the years, leadership included: David Bond, Wray Davis, Ludwig Gerber, Arthur O'Connell, Milton Krims, Francis Lederer, Leon Ames, John Houseman, Dr. Jacob Lichstein, Albert Salmi, Ruth Burch, John Forsythe, Jack Morrison, Elza Schallert, Grayce M. Smith, Ezra Stone, and Harry Zevin, among others. ANTANS, an auxiliary group of ANTA West, was often responsible for fundraising for the organization.

    Scope and Content

    The collection consists of files related to the activities of ANTA West (American National Theatre and Academy West), a non-profit corporation organized in California in 1957 to encourage public interest in the performing arts and to foster and support live theatrical activity. Included are meeting minutes for the Executive Committee, Board of Directors, and other committees, committee reports, correspondence, financial records such as budgets and expenses for projects, programs for various productions, and publications such as the ANTA newsletter. In addition there is a small amount material related to the ANTANS in and among some of the files. Many of the envelopes found in the collection are addressed to William Wintersole, who served in a number of capacities within the organization. It should be noted that ANTA West is often noted as ANTA on file folders, not to be confused with ANTA (American National Theatre and Academy), the national level organization. Notably absent from the records are materials documenting the closing of ANTA West.

    Organization and Arrangement

    The collection is arranged alphabetically by file titles.

    Subjects and Indexing Terms

    ANTA West (Organization) - Archives.
    Theater--California-- or -- West Coast--History -- Archival resources.