This collection contains a journal written by Robert Stanton Bliss that records his activities as a private of Company B in
the Mormon Battalion between 1846 and 1848, as well as correspondence related to the journal.
The Mormon Battalion was the only religiously based unit in the history of the United States Army, serving from July 1846
to July 1847 during the Mexican-American War. A volunteer unit of roughly 550 Latter-day Saints men led by U.S. Army officers,
the combat battalion made a 2,000 mile trek from Council Bluffs, Iowa to San Diego, California as reinforcements to the troops
led by General Stephen Kearny. The Battalion left July 21, 1846 and arrived in San Diego 6 months later on January 29, 1847,
completing the longest infantry march in military history. The arduous trek took them through hostile Indian territory, and
the Battalion was consistently short on food and water. Of the original 550 men who left Council Bluffs, only 360 members
reached San Diego.