A guide to the California and Nevada landscape and railroad photographs, circa 1880-1920
Processed by: L. Bianchi, July 2013.
San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park2013
Building E, Fort Mason
San Francisco, CA 94123
A Guide to the California and Nevada landscape and railroad photographs
P91-083San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park, National Park Service
2013, National Park Service
Title: California and Nevada landscape and railroad photographs
Date: circa 1880-1920
Identifier/Call Number: P91-083 (SAFR 23380)
Physical Description: 47 items.
Repository: San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park, Historic Documents Department
Building E, Fort Mason
San Francisco, CA 94123
Abstract: The California and Nevada landscape and railroad photographs, circa 1880-1920, (SAFR 23380, P91-083) are comprised mainly of various California and Nevada scenes, including San Francisco, Slide Mountain, Truckee River, and other unidentified locations. The collection has been processed to the Collection level and is open for use.
Physical Location: San Francisco Maritime NHP, Historic Documents Department
Language(s): In English.
This collection is open for use unless otherwise noted.
Nitrate negatives are restricted from use. Use-copies can be provided.
Glass plate negatives may require special handling by the reference staff.
Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the researcher's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.
The descriptions in this collection guide were compiled using the best available sources of information. Such sources include the creator's annotations or descriptions, collection accession files, primary and secondary source material and subject matter experts. While every effort was made to provide accurate information, in the event that you find any errors in this guide please contact the reference staff in order for us to evaulate and make corrections to this guide.
Please cite the title and collection number in any correspondence with our staff.
[Item description], [Location within collection organization identified by Collection Number/Series Number/File Unit Number/Item Number], P91-083 (SAFR 23380), California and Nevada landscape and railroad photographs, San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park
SAFR-00370 is a field collection from San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park exhibits staff member Mary Lou Herlihy. The collection was found on July 1, 1991, in the Curator of Exhibits' former office space in the Museum Building. The photographs were found tucked away on a shelf high up on the wall and apparently had been there for some years. The original source is unknown.
This collection does not include a historical or biographical note.
The California and Nevada landscape and railroad photographs, circa 1880-1920, (SAFR 23380, P91-083) are comprised mainly of various California and Nevada scenes, including San Francisco, Slide Mountain, Truckee River, and other unidentified locations. The collection has been processed to the Collection level and is open for use.
Contains photographs of various California and Nevada landscapes and railroad scenes, circa 1880-1920. There are 47 unique photographic images in 47 physical forms (6 glass plate negatives, 41 nitrate negatives).
- Items 01-02. Rainy day at Market Street and Powell Street, San Francisco, California, approximately 1909-1920. A cable car is on the right. People are walking with umbrellas. The Windsor Hotel, built in 1909, is one of the buildings in view.
- Items 03-04. Buildings near an unidentified waterfront.
- Item 05. Slide Mountain, located between Reno and Carson City in the Carson Range, Nevada. Snow is on the mountain. Buildings and a corral are in the middle distance.
- Item 06. Unidentified roadway through a wooded area.
- Items 07-10. Ocean Beach, San Francisco, California, 1896-1907. The Cliff House is in the distance.
- Items 11-17. Sand dunes, possibly in San Francisco, California. One photograph shows an unidentified building in the dunes.
- Items 18-39. Truckee River in California or Nevada.
- Items 40-47. Views along railroad tracks. Three views of track through a wooded area. Three views of tracks along a body of water, with one view showing a steam locomotive underway. One view of a steam locomotive at a station with passenger cars on another track alongside. One view of a steam locomotive, possibly No. 30, at a station.
No arrangement due to the small size of the collection.
Subjects and Indexing Terms
San Francisco (Calif.)
Ocean Beach (San Francisco, Calif.)
Truckee River (Calif. and Nev.)
Carson Range (Calif. and Nev.)
Cellulose nitrate film