Kinesiology Department. Chair. Memos. 1954-1979.

Finding aid prepared by University Archives staff, 1990 May; finding aid revised by Katharine A. Lawrie, 2013 December; machine-readable finding aid created by Katharine A. Lawrie, 2013 December.
UCLA Library Special Collections
Room A1713, Charles E. Young Research Library
Box 951575
Los Angeles, CA, 90095-1575
(310) 825-4988
spec-coll@library.ucla.edu
©1990 May


Title: Kinesiology Department. Chair. Memos.
Identifier/Call Number: University Archives Record Series 329
Contributing Institution: UCLA Library Special Collections
Language of Material: English
Physical Description: 0.8 linear ft. (2 boxes)
Date: 1954-1979
Abstract: Record Series 329 contains memos from the Chair's Office of UCLA's Department of Kinesiology, generated between 1954-1979.
Creator: University of California, Los Angeles. Kinesiology Department.

Access

COLLECTION STORED OFF-SITE AT SRLF: Open for research. Advance notice required for access. Contact the UCLA Library Special Collections Reference Desk for paging information.

Publication Rights

Copyright of portions of this collection has been assigned to The Regents of the University of California. The UCLA University Archives can grant permission to publish for materials to which it holds the copyright. All requests for permission to publish or quote must be submitted in writing to the UCLA University Archivist.

Preferred Citation

[Identification of item], Kinesiology Department. Chair. Memos (University Archives Record Series 329). UCLA Library Special Collections, University Archives.

Historical note

The Department of Kinesiology trace its origins to the Department of Physical Education, which was established in 1915 as part of the Los Angeles State Normal School. In 1919 the department became part of the Teachers College of the Southern Branch, with separate departments for men and women. During the 1920s, the department's efforts were devoted to the training of Physical Education teachers and the administration of the Physical Education classes that were required of all undergraduates. In 1932 the Men's and Women's Gymnasiums were completed. In 1938 the M.S. degree in Physical Education was authorized. In 1939 the department became part of the newly established College of Applied Arts. In 1952 separate divisions for men and women were eliminated. In 1960 the College of Applied Arts was dissolved and replaced by the College of Fine Arts. The Physical Education Department was then transferred to the College of Letters and Science, Division of Life Sciences. In 1962 the revised physical education major was approved and focused on Kinesiology (the science of human movement) and one of three allied fields: physiology, psychology, or sociology. In 1973 the department changed its name to Kinesiology. When Donald T. Hardy retired in 1976, he was recognized as the founding father of the Kinesiology department. The department first offered a Ph.D. degree in Kinesiology in 1979. In 1990 the Kinesiology Department changed its name to the Physiological Sciences Department.
Since 1937 the chairmanship of what is now called the Physiological Sciences Department has been held successively by Frederick W. Cozens (1937-1939), John F. Bovard (1939-1947), Carl Haven Young (1947-1952), Ben W. Miller (1952-1962), Donald T. Handy (1962-1975), Jack F. Keogh (1975-1978), Serena E. Arnold (1978-1980), Judith L. Smith (1980-1985), V. Reggie Edgerton (1985-1989), Ronald F. Zernicke (1989-1992), and Jack L. Feldman (1993- ).

Scope and Content

Record Series 329 contains memos from the Chair's Office of UCLA's Department of Kinesiology, generated between 1954-1979. Files include memos, forms, bulletins, notices, announcements, special reminders, suggested agendas, and brief correspondence by Chairs Ben Miller, Donald Handy, and Serena Arnold to faculty and staff members.
This is an inactive record series; no additional University records are expected to be added.

UCLA Catalog Record ID

UCLA Catalog Record ID: 3466860 

Box 1, Folders 1-2

Chairman Ben Miller to faculty and staff. 1954-1957 May.

Box 1, Folder 3

Acting Chairman Don Handy to faculty and staff. 1957 May-1958 Jul.

Box 1, Folders 4-5

Chairman Ben Miller to faculty and staff. 1959-1961.

Box 1, Folders 6-10

Chairman Donald Handy to faculty and staff. 1961-1966.

Box 2, Folders 1-7

Chairman Donald Handy to faculty and staff. 1966-1973.

Box 2, Folder 8

Chair Serena Arnold to faculty and staff. 1976-1979.