SIERRA VALLEY AND MOHAWK RAILROAD COLLECTION
Title: SIERRA VALLEY AND MOHAWK RAILROAD COLLECTION
Collection Number: MS 88
Extent: 1 half box
California State Railroad Museum Library
Abstract: Time book for construction workers on the Sierra Valley and Mohawk Railroad.
Language of Material: English
This collection is open for research.
Copyright has not been assigned to the California State Railroad Museum. All requests for permission to publish or quote from
manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Director of Collections. Permission for publication is given on behalf of
the CSRM as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which
must also be obtained by the reader.
SIERRA VALLEY AND MOHAWK RAILROAD COLLECTION. California State Railroad Museum Library
Gift of Buell L. Edison, 1986
The Sierra Valley & Mohawk Railroad was incorporated October 1, 1885. It ran westerly about 39 miles from near the present
location of Plumas Junction to Mohawk, near the town of Blarisden, California. Name changes occurred with the incorporation
of the Sierra Valley Railroad (January 4, 1895) and the Sierra & Mohawk Railway (incorporated June 14, 1911). The branch
came under the control of the Nevada-California-Oregon Railway in 1900, and was consolidated with it on January 1, 1915, becoming
known as the Sierra Valley Branch. It was abandoned in 1918 after purchase by the Western Pacific.
Scope and Content of Collection
Time book for construction workers on the Sierra Valley and Mohawk Railroad from October 1886 through May 1887. Book includes
hours worked and wages paid. There are references to Chinese laborers.