Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Guide to the Rose Neumann Collection
MS-0504  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (99.39 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Overview of the Collection
  • Biographical Information:
  • Access Terms
  • Administrative Information
  • Scope and Contents

  • Overview of the Collection

    Collection Title: Rose Neumann Collection
    Dates: 1938-1982
    Identification: MS-0504
    Creator: Neumann, Rose
    Physical Description: 0.40 linear ft
    Language of Materials: English
    Repository: Special Collections & University Archives
    5500 Campanile Dr. MC 8050
    San Diego, CA, 92182-8050
    URL: http://library.sdsu.edu/scua
    Email: scref@rohan.sdsu.edu
    Phone: 619-594-6791

    Biographical Information:

    Rose Neumann was a native of Austria who came to San Diego in 1911. She helped start the first Jewish newspaper in San Diego, the San Diego Jewish Bulletin and she helped found several of the Jewish benevolent organizations that exist in the 21 st century. Along with her husband, Al Neumann, they opened a hardware store on 6th Ave, near Market St., in downtown San Diego. Among the many organizations with which Rose Neumann was affiliated, include the USO, the United Jewish Federation, Hadassah, the Braille Institute, the Jolly Sixteen, the Jewish Welfare Society (known as Jewish Family Service), Federated Jewish Charities, Ladies Hebrew Aid Society, United Jewish Appeal, the American Red Cross, the Salvation Army, San Diego War Chest, and Tifereth Israel's Daughters of Israel. Rose Neumann died in 1981.

    Access Terms

    This collection is indexed under the following controlled access subject terms.

    Topical Term:

    Jews -- California -- San Diego

    Administrative Information

    Custodial History:

    The materials in this collection were donated to the Jewish Historical Society of San Diego in donated in 2010 by Arthur Neumann,  son of Rose and Al Neumann (JHSSD #2010.01).  It was transferred to the SDSU Library and Information Access on December 11, 2013.

    Accruals:

    2010.01

    Conditions Governing Use:

    The copyright interests in these materials have not been transferred to San Diego State University. Copyright resides with the creators of materials contained in the collection or their heirs. The nature of historical archival and manuscript collections is such that copyright status may be difficult or even impossible to determine.  Requests for permission to publish must be submitted to the Head of Special Collections, San Diego State University, Library and Information Access. When granted, permission is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical item and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder(s), which must also be obtained in order to publish. Materials from our collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials.

    Conditions Governing Access:

    This collection is open for research.

    Preferred Citation:

    Identification of item, folder title, box number, Rose Neumann Collection, Special Collections and University Archives, Library and Information Access, San Diego State University.

    Related Materials:

    Anti-Defamation League of San Diego Collection
    Ralph Berman and Roberta Wagner Collection
    Lasker Lodge Collection
    Ed Naiman Collection
    Paul Schraer Collection
    Myron Shelley San Diego Hebrew Home for the Aged Collection
    Henry and Idelle Weissenberg Collection
    Information about related materials is available at http://scua2.sdsu.edu/archon/index.php?p=core/search&subjectid=1127

    Scope and Contents

    The collection consists of scrapbooks, newspaper clippings, photographs, correspondence, personal  papers and certificates of appreciation.
    The materials in this collection were donated to the Jewish Historical Society of San Diego in donated in 2010 by Arthur Neumann,  son of Rose and Al Neumann (JHSSD #2010.01).  It was transferred to the SDSU Library and Information Access on December 11, 2013.