Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Guide to the Guth Family Papers
MC 32  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (54.87 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Overview
 
Table of contents What's This?
Description
George Guth and family ran a grocery store business in Sacramento in the late 19th century. Two bound volumes of script document the Guth family grocery business and genealogical history. Legal papers document transactions for the Lot 8 property ("Lavine" and "Sprague" estate) bounded by Nth and O, 20th and 21st Streets in Sacramento, Calif., dating from 1884-1904.
Background
Born in 1834, George Guth was a native of Alsace-Lorraine France who came to California circa the 1850s. He married Annie O'Keefe (Annie Guth), a native of County Waterford, Ireland, and ran a grocery business on the east half of Lot No. 5 in the block bounded by H and I Streets and 11th and 12th Streets in Sacramento circa the early 1880s . He passed on Oct. 31, 1884 leaving behind five children, including a son, Joseph (Joe) Guth, who inherited his grocery business. George's brother John Guth, born 1832, was a prosperous farmer in Sacramento who owned J. Guth & Son Feed Store at 725 J Street. Upon John's death in 1894 his estate was passed on to wife Mary Jane Guth and children, one of which was a daughter who married Jacob Gebert. Gebert owned the south half of Lot 8 until 1893. From 1885 to 1891, the north half of Lot 8 was known as the "Lavine Estate" or property of Ms. Anna and Emil Lavine.
Extent
.5 linear ft. (2 bound volumes, 2 folders)
Restrictions
Use of the described materials may be subject to U.S. and international copyright laws. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Sacramento Public Library as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the reader.
Availability
Collection is open for research.