The Pomona Fox Theater first opened its doors in 1931. After 70 years of theater-going, It was shut down in 2001. Finally,
after a 10 million dollar renovation, it proudly re-opened its doors on April 18, 2009. This collection contains flyers, a
program, newspaper, DVD, magazine and reprinted newspaper and booklet related to the reopening events for the new Pomona Fox
The Pomona Fox Theater opened its doors on April 24, 1931 at a cost of $300,000. The Pomona Fox was designed by Balch and
Standberry of Los Angeles. Along with its big city flair, it had an Art Deco design, 1750 seats and was equipped with some
of the latest technology, including a new projection and sound system and one of the first commercial air-conditioners. The
interior décor of the Fox featured murals and tapestries, elaborate plaster panels, ornamental iron work and couches. On the
outside of the theater, the 81 foot tall corner tower was crowned with a rotating red and blue neon ‘FOX’ sign. For years
it was the tallest structure in the valley and was visible from neighboring cities. On the stage of the theater not only did
it have movie showings, premieres, and previews but also concerts, talent shows, lectures, dances and, political events. With
the 1950’s and 1960’s came the age of suburban living, freeway building and the rise of shopping centers and malls like Montclair
Plaza. The customers that once made downtown Pomona a thriving place dwindled, the overall economy of downtown Pomona fell,
which of course included the movie goers. Even after a refurbishing in 1957, it fell in disarray in the 1960’s and 1970’s.
It was closed in 1976.