Finding Aid for the Roland Eli Coate, Sr. papers, 1925-1956 0000120

Finding aid prepared by Jillian O'Connor and Chris Marino
The processing of this collection was made possible through generous funding from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, administered through the Council on Library and Information Resources “Cataloging Hidden Special Collections and Archives” Project.
Architecture and Design Collection, Art, Design & Architecture Museum
Arts Building Room 1434
University of California
Santa Barbara, California, 93106-7130
805-893-2724
adc@museum.ucsb.edu


Title: Roland Eli Coate, Sr. papers
Identifier/Call Number: 0000120
Contributing Institution: Architecture and Design Collection, Art, Design & Architecture Museum
Language of Material: English
Physical Description: 45.5 Linear feet (10 record storage boxes and 13 flat file drawers)
Date (inclusive): 1925-1956
creator: Coate, Roland E., 1890-1958

Access

Partially processed collection, open for use by qualified researchers.

Custodial History note

Gift of Roland Coate Jr., 1973.

Preferred Citation note

Roland Eli Coate, Sr. papers, Architecture and Design Collection. Art, Design & Architecture Museum; University of California, Santa Barbara.

Biographical/Historical note

Roland Eli Coate, Sr. (1890-1958) was born in Richmond, Indiana. After attending Earlham College for two years, he transferred to Cornell University where he completed his degree in architecture in 1914. After school, Coate settled in New York and found work at the Trowbridge and Ackerman architectural firm. During WWI Coate served as a 1 st Lieutenant with the American Expeditionary Forces. In 1919 Coate moved to Los Angeles and joined the architectural firm which became known as Johnson, Kaufmann and Coate. While he was a junior partner in the firm, Coate helped to design St. Paul’s Episcopal Cathedral in downtown Los Angeles and All Saints Episcopal Church in Pasadena. By 1925, the firm had disbanded and Coate opened his own firm in Los Angeles and continued to design until his death in 1958. His first solo project was the All Saints Episcopal church in Beverly Hills. He went on to design many homes in the grater Pasadena area and in West Los Angeles. Coate was one of the early exponents of the Monterey Revival, the style for which he is best known, though he also designed Colonial Revival houses and California ranch houses.

Scope and Content Note

The Roland E. Coate collection spans 45.5 linear feet and dates from 1925 to 1956. The collection is primarily composed of Coate’s architectural drawings and reprographic copies of his residential designs, but also includes presentation drawings, 8 x 14 in. black-and-white matted photographs of his buildings, his diplomas, large format scrapbook pages filled with drawings and reprographic copies, clippings regarding Coate’s work, awards, and Coate’s documents relating to projects.

Related Archival Materials note

Johnson, Kaufmann, & Coate drawing for Saint Paul's Catherdral, Architecture and Design Collection. Art, Design & Architecture Museum; University of California, Santa Barbara.

Subjects and Indexing Terms

Coate, Roland E., 1890-1958
Architectural drawings
Architecture -- California -- 20th century
Photographic prints
Presentation drawings (proposals)