Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Guide to the Canoga Park Women's Club Collection, 1914-1980
URB/CPWC  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (85.22 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Overview of the Collection
  • Historical Note:
  • Access Terms
  • Administrative Information
  • Arrangement of Materials:
  • Scope and Contents

  • Overview of the Collection

    Collection Title: Canoga Park Women's Club Collection
    Dates: 1914-1980
    Identification: URB/CPWC
    Creator: Canoga Park Women's Club (Canoga Park, Los Angeles, Calif.)
    Physical Description: 3.75 linear feet
    Language of Materials: English
    Repository: Urban Archives
    Abstract: The Canoga Park Women's Club works "to promote interest in intellectual pursuits; to become a center for broader social life and to work unitedly for the general advancement of both club and community." The collection consists of notebooks and scrapbooks which contain photographs, invitations, correspondence, newsletters and ephemera related to the organization’s history and activities.

    Historical Note:

    The first meeting of the Owensmouth Women’s Club was held on October 30, 1914 at the home of Mrs. Fred Balster. Officers were elected and a committee was established to draw up the new organization's Constitution and By-Laws. In 1915, the Owensmouth Women's Club became the youngest organization to be admitted to the California Federation of Women's Clubs and later became incorporated in 1916. The 1916 Constitution and By-laws of the Owensmouth Women's Club states, "The purpose of this club is to promote interest in intellectual pursuits; to become a center for broader social life and to work unitedly for the general advancement of both club and community." When the town of Owensmouth adopted “Canoga Park” as its new name, the club followed suit, and became the Canoga Park Women’s Club.
    One of the first issues to come before the Canoga Park Women's Club was the establishment of the Owensmouth Free Public Library. Women's clubs participated in the establishment and the hourly work for these libraries. Canoga Park Women's Club volunteers manned the library on Tuesdays and Thursdays between 2 – 5:00 PM. The 150 original books at the new library were soon augmented by donations made by club members. Beautification of Canoga Park also became a theme for the clubwomen who planted trees and held horticulture-related events at Orcutt Rancho on Roscoe Boulevard. Canoga Park clubwomen also participated in Pennies for Pines, and worked tirelessly to reforest national areas, in and around San Francisco.
    Canoga park Women’s Club meetings were a combination of business and a variety of educational programs, such police talks, gardening in the Valley, 'women's work,' Los Angeles Philharmonic music speakers, fashion style films, Los Angeles relief, wildflowers and native plants, holiday fetes, as well as arts and crafts demonstrations. The Canoga Park Women's Club supported a variety of philanthropic endeavors and during WWII, they "did their bit" for the troops overseas by hosting tables of ten at numerous bridge parties, the proceeds going to the war effort. A watermelon party was held in July of 1942 at the United Services Organization (USO) where a pool table was presented to the Soldiers with money that had been raised by clubwomen. The annual White Breakfast signified the beginning of each holiday season where toys, gifts, food and donations were collected for local Canoga Park charities. A charitable component at each event helped support the community libraries, health organizations, and the Guadalupe Youth Center, which was a favorite of the Canoga Park clubwomen.
    In the 1970's the Canoga Park Women's Club affiliated with women’s clubs nationwide to "declare war on rape. As the numbers rapes continued to increase in every major city in the United States, each state federation of women's clubs set about to change their own state laws. The Canoga Park Women's Club worked to increase awareness and trained their club members in rape counseling so they could attend local court sessions to be a comfort to victims.

    Access Terms

    This Collection is indexed under the following controlled access subject terms.

    Corporate Name:

    Canoga Park Women's Club (Canoga Park, Los Angeles, Calif.)
    Canoga Park Women's Club (Canoga Park, Los Angeles, Calif.) -- Archives

    Genre/Form of Material:

    Paper records
    Photographic material
    Publications
    Scrapbooks

    Geographic Name:

    Canoga Park (Los Angeles, Calif.)
    San Fernando Valley (Calif.) -- History

    Topical Term:

    Women -- Societies and clubs

    Administrative Information

    Processing Information:

    Robert G. Marshall, Jim Azevedo, Robert Pflug; September 1989

    Conditions Governing Use:

    Copyright for unpublished materials authored or otherwise produced by the creator(s) of this collection has not been transferred to California State University, Northridge. Copyright status for other materials is unknown. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.

    Conditions Governing Access:

    The collection is open for research use.

    Preferred Citation:

    [Identification of item], [date], Canoga Park Women's Club Collection , Special Collections and Archives, Oviatt Library, California State University, Northridge.

    Arrangement of Materials:

    Series I: Minute Books of the Executive Board, 1916-1979
    Series II: Minute Books of the Club Secretary, 1914-1980
    Series III: Records of the Club Historian, 1914-1975

    Scope and Contents

    The Canoga Park Women’s Club Collection consists of notebooks and scrapbooks which document the Club’s activities. Photographs, invitations, correspondence, newsletters and ephemera are contained within each scrapbook. The material contained in notebooks and scrapbooks has been left in original order. The collection has been organized in three series: Minute Books of the Executive Board (1916-1979), Minute Books of the Club Secretary (1914-1980), and Records of the Club Historian (1914-1980).
    Series I, Minute Books of the Executive Board, contains correspondence, bound and loose minutes, financial statements, committee reports and related items compiled at the monthly meetings of the Club's executive board. Bound minute books cover the period 1916-1965. Beginning in 1966, the minutes were originally filed in three-ring binders. The files are arranged in chronological order.
    Series II, Minute Books of the Club Secretary, contains biographical information of club leadership, correspondence, bound and loose minutes, committee reports, financial statements and related items compiled by the Club Secretary during the regular monthly meetings of the Canoga Park Women's Club. The files are arranged in chronological order.
    Series III, Records of the Club Historian, includes annual yearbooks, awards, certificates of achievement, some correspondence, newspaper clippings from the local paper, newsletters, photographs and related memorabilia. The records were originally filed in three-ring notebooks. The original chronological order of the files has been maintained.