Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Philosophy Department. Chair. Correspondence files. 1930-1987.
University Archives Record Series 411  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (57.71 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Overview
 
Table of contents What's This?
Description
Record Series 411 contains the correspondence of chairs of the Department of Philosophy at UCLA.
Background
The Department of Philosophy at UCLA began operating as a separate entity in 1924. In 1929 the campus moved to Westwood and an undergraduate Philosophy curriculum was created; shortly after, a graduate program was developed in 1933. Professor Hans Reichenbach greatly accelerated the program by introducing a strong curricular tradition rooted in studies in logic and the philosophy of science. Additionally, the presence of prominent philosophers, such as Bertrand Russell (from 1939-40) and Rudolf Carnap (1953), catapulted the Philosophy Department's reputation. An endowment established in 1941 by Mr. And Mrs. C. N. Flint also assisted in appointing 14 distinguished philosophers from around the world. The Philosophy Department continually expanded as fields of logic, epistemology, semantics, metaphysics, ethics, the philosophy of law, and the history of philosophy were incorporated into the program. By 1964, enrollment within the Philosophy Department reached 2,393 students and 16 faculty members.
Extent
5.2 linear ft. (13 boxes)
Restrictions
Copyright of portions of this collection has been assigned to The Regents of the University of California. The UCLA University Archives can grant permission to publish for materials to which it holds the copyright. All requests for permission to publish or quote must be submitted in writing to the UCLA University Archivist.
Availability
COLLECTION STORED OFF-SITE AT SRLF: Open for research. Advance notice required for access. Contact the UCLA Library Special Collections Reference Desk for paging information.