This collection contains records of the Alexander and Brooklyn Mines in Nye County, Nevada
including general correspondence of the company from 1921-1944; correspondence dealing with the purchase of the Alexander
and Brooklyn Mines
by the Coronado Copper and Zinc Company, 1949-1950; and assays and smelter returns from the Alexander and Brooklyn Mines,
The Alexander and Brooklyn Mines, also known as the Silver Palace Mines, Old Grantsville Mine or the Webster Mines, are located
in the Union Mining District of Nye County, Nevada, south of Ione.
P. A. Haven discovered the Union District in 1863 and the city of Ione and camp of Grantsville were established that same
year. The mines were owned by Harvey Seeley Mudd (1888-1955),
his father Seeley Wintersmith Mudd (1861-1926), and their associates, including a William J. Webster of the Webster Mines
Corporation. They did considerable work there, but the mines were
eventually abandoned after unsuccessful attempts to make them profitable both through mining and leasing.
294 pieces in 1 box.
The Huntington Library does not require that researchers request permission to
quote from or publish images of this material, nor does it charge fees for such
activities. The responsibility for identifying the copyright holder, if there is
one, and obtaining necessary permissions rests with the researcher.
Open to qualified researchers by prior application through the Reader Services
Department. For more information, contact Reader Services.