The collection contains the general correspondence to and from the Huntington Library up to 1980.
The Huntington Library began as Henry E. Huntington’s private collection of rare books and manuscripts. In 1908-1909, Mr.
Huntington obtained a quarter of the Henry W. Poor library and in 1911 acquired the entirety of the E. Dwight Church library.
Over the following years, Mr. Huntington purchased a number of distinguished collections, including a Gutenberg bible and
the small Beverly Chew library which contained first editions of seventeenth century English poetry. Mr. Huntington accumulated
an extensive collection of English drama, including the Kemble-Devonshire plays. Mr. Huntington’s collection attracted the
attention of many notable scholars and influential people of the period.
In order to quote from, publish, or reproduce any of the manuscripts or visual materials, researchers must obtain formal permission
from the office of the Library Director. In most instances, permission is given by the Huntington as owner of the physical
property rights only, and researchers must also obtain permission from the holder of the literary rights. In some instances,
the Huntington owns the literary rights, as well as the physical property rights. Researchers may contact the appropriate
curator for further information.
Collection is open to qualified researchers by prior application through the Reader Services Department. For more information,
please go to following web site.