Laurence E. Bulmore Photographs of New Almaden
Title: Laurence E. Bulmore Photographs of New Almaden
Collection Number: 1979-251
Creator/Collector: Bulmore, Laurence E. Bulmore, Robert R.
Extent: 2.5 linear feetOnline items available
Repository: History San Jose Research Library
Abstract: Original glass negatives, prints, and copy prints of New Almaden Quicksilver Mines, taken by Robert R. Bulmore and Dr. S. E. Winn (1880-1900); as well as later photographs of the filling of New Almaden Reservoir, created in 1936, and accompanying flooding of Cannon's Summer Resort.
Language of Material: English
Collection is open to the public by appointment with the Curator of Library and Archives. Copy prints may be provided for viewing instead of original glass negatives.
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a photocopy or other reproduction. One of these specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgement, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Laurence E. Bulmore Photographs of New Almaden. History San Jose Research Library
The photographs appear to have been donated by Laurence E. Bulmore, Robert Bulmore's son, to the San Jose Historical Museum, likely in the 1970s. It is unclear which New Almaden records and artifacts had been on loan to the museums between 1952 and 1971, and which may have come after the materials were deeded to the museum.
According to the Laurence Bulmore's introduction to his and Milton Lanyon's book "Cinnabar Hills: The Quicksilver Days of New Almaden" (1967), "Very few mining camps of the West were photographed so completely as New Almaden. The greater number of pictures taken between 1880 and 1912 are the work of Robert Bulmore, mine official and amateur photographer." "Some of the pictures were taken by Dr. Winn, resident doctor and C. E. Watkins, an itinerant photographer, who traveled throughout the West with horse and wagon, fully equipped for his trade." Laurence Bulmore donated much of his collection of mining and agricultural equipment, as well as photographs and mine records, to the San Jose Historical Museum in the 1970s. It subsequently became part of the History San Jose Collection.
Approximately 176 glass negatives and photographic prints, including views of the town of New Almaden (Calif.), schools, houses, mine buildings, and miners at work in the shafts. Many of these photographs were taken by Laurence Bulmore's father, Robert, who was manager of the mines between 1892-1900. The later photographs, taken in 1939, likely by Laurence Bulmore, display New Almaden Reservoir being filled, and the flooding of adjacent Cannon's Summer Resort. According to notes on the photographs, the Bulmore and Cannon families were close friends.
Mercury mines and mining
New Almaden Mining Company
New Almaden (Calif.)
New Almaden Mines