The Ray and Turner School Registers includes original records kept by teachers in two elementary schools located in Elkhorn
Township, San Joaquin County, northwest of Lodi, California. The registers list students, their attendance records, and their
grades. They also elaborate policies and guidelines issued by the State of California for the conduct of teachers, students,
and district administrators.
The Ray and Turner Schools were two San Joaquin County elementary schools located in Elkhorn Township northwest of Lodi. The
Ray School, first known as the Mokelumne-Franklin School District, traces its origins to 1904. Five years later, fire destroyed
the original building and voters of the district authorized construction of a new structure, which was located on Ray and
Peltier Roads. The Ray School remained in that location until 1987, when the Lodi Unified School District closed its doors.
The Turner School dates from 1863. Only fragments of evidence exist from its earliest days, but in 1910 district voters are
known to have authorized construction of a new schoolhouse on Turner and Ray Roads. The Turner School stayed in that location
until 2009, when the Lodi Unified School District closed it, too.
The library can only claim physical ownership of the collection. Users are responsible for satisfying any claimants of literary