The Elda Muir papers span 31 linear feet and date from circa 1946 to 1971. The collection is primarily composed of architectural
drawings and reprographic copies of Muir’s southern California projects, most of which are residential. The collection also
includes handwritten notes, magazine clippings, telegraphs, specifications, black-and-white photographs, and negatives, all
organized by project.
Elda Muir, also known by her married name, Elda Muir Lambie, was born in California on January 1, 1906. At the age of 13,
Muir began to work in the architectural firm of John Byers as an office assistant until 1926, when she was promoted to draftswomen
and designer. In 1934, after receiving her architectural license, Byers and Muir formed a partnership, renaming the firm John
Byers and Edla Muir, Associated Architects. When the firm dissolved in 1942, Muir became the principle of her own firm in
West Los Angeles. Her firm Elda Muir, Architect continued from 1946 until 1971, the year she died, at the age of 65.