The bulk of the collection contains the Provincial files and personal papers of the Jesuits from the California Province who
labored in the China Mission from 1928 through 1957 when the last of the men, imprisoned by the Communists, were allowed to
leave. Also included are records of later Jesuit personnel who worked in the Far East Mission in the Philippines and in Taiwan,
1958-2009. Materials include correspondence, legal documents, reports, photographs, audiotapes and audiocassettes, motion
pictures, devotional writings, educational materials in English and Chinese, publications, newsletters, and memorabilia. Pre-1957
materials are contained in Boxes 1-65; materials after 1957 in Boxes 66 and 67.
In September 1928 five Jesuits of the California Province set sail from San Francisco to initiate a new mission in mainland
China. Arriving at St. Ignatius College in Zikawei near Shanghai, they began the study of Chinese and evangelical work with
the community of Chinese Catholics. They were commissioned to serve the China Mission by Father General Wlodmir Ledóchowski,
S.J. at the request of Pius XI and a Chinese layman, Joseph Lo Pahong. Their activities were centered in Nanjing, Haizhou,
and Shanghai. From 1928 to 1957 fifty-five California Jesuits labored to serve an expanding community of the faithful and
to assist in the formation of a native clergy.