Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Guide to the Los Feliz Improvement Association Records, 1922-2002
URB/LFIA  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (107.77 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Overview of the Collection
  • Historical Note:
  • Access Terms
  • Administrative Information
  • Arrangement of Materials:
  • Scope and Contents

  • Overview of the Collection

    Collection Title: Los Feliz Improvement Association Records
    Dates: 1922-2002
    Identification: URB/LFIA
    Creator: Los Feliz Improvement Association
    Physical Description: 12.13 linear feet
    Language of Materials: English
    Repository: Urban Archives
    Abstract: The Los Feliz Improvement Association was formed in 1922 to represent the homeowners of the Los Feliz area of Los Angeles. The association worked to protect historic trees and homes, and to prevent developments they felt would harm the upscale residential feel of the neighborhood. Much of the collection deals with fights against zoning changes that would have allowed construction of unsightly walls or that would have allowed commercial development.

    Historical Note:

    Founded in 1916, the Vermont Canyon Improvement Club was later reorganized and changed its name to the Los Feliz Improvement Association on July 7, 1922. The organization played a significant role in the development of the neighborhood, located just east of Hollywood, for nearly a century. A central area in the neighborhood continues to be Griffith Park, willed to the city of Los Angeles by Col. Griffith J. Griffith in 1919 with specific instructions to maintain the area as a public space. Griffith Park’s approximately 4,000 acres includes: the Greek Theater, the Los Angeles Zoo, and the Griffith Observatory which all opened in the 1930s,as well as the William Mulholland Memorial Fountain and the Gene Autry Museum of Western Heritage. The Los Feliz Improvement Association played an important role in determining the locations of all the attractions in Griffith Park. In addition, any future maintenance of the Park and its surrounding neighborhood would be the organization’s responsibility.
    In the 1930s, the Association oversaw the building and opening of John Marshall High School. The Los Feliz Improvement Association played a vital role in maintaining the neighborhood’s residential character and integrity as well, and fought rigorously over the years to prevent zoning changes on Los Feliz Boulevard that would have allowed commercial real estate development and to save 100-year-old trees.

    Access Terms

    This Collection is indexed under the following controlled access subject terms.

    Corporate Name:

    Los Feliz Improvement Association

    Genre/Form of Material:

    Paper records
    Photographic material

    Geographic Name:

    Los Feliz (Los Angeles, Calif.) -- History

    Topical Term:

    Committees -- History
    Emergency management -- Maps
    Zoning -- California -- Los Angeles

    Administrative Information

    Processing Information:

    Haig Avakian, Katherine Gould, 2011-2012

    Conditions Governing Use:

    Copyright for unpublished materials authored or otherwise produced by the creator(s) of this collection has not been transferred to California State University, Northridge. Copyright status for other materials is unknown. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.

    Conditions Governing Access:

    The collection is open for research use.

    Preferred Citation:

    [Identification of item], [date], Los Feliz Improvement Association Records , Special Collections and Archives, Oviatt Library, California State University, Northridge.

    Related Materials:

    Arrangement of Materials:

    Series I: Administrative Files, 1922-2000
        Subseries A: General Administrative Files, 1927-2000s
        Subseries B: Minutes, 1922-1999
    Series II: Correspondence, 1932-1999
        Subseries A: General Correspondence, 1932-1999
        Subseries B: Ruth Ney (Corresponding Secretary), 1981-1989
    Series III: Special Project Files, 1930-2001
        Subseries A: Los Feliz Historical Survey, 2001
        Subseries B: Los Feliz Improvement Association Special Projects, 1930-2001

    Scope and Contents

    The Los Feliz Improvement Association Collection includes board minutes, general correspondence, by-laws, president’s reports, newsletters, newspaper clippings, and membership lists from 1922 to 2002. In addition, the collection contains a descriptive historical survey of all the homes located in the Los Feliz neighborhood. The collection details the role the organization played in the development of the Los Feliz neighborhood, and has been arranged in three series: Administrative Files (1922-2000), Correspondence (1932-1999), and Special Project Files (1930-2001).
    Series I, Administrative Files, contains general records regarding board membership and committee memberships, as well as minutes of the board’s monthly meetings and have been divided into two subseries: General Administrative Files (1927-2000) and Minutes (1922-1999). These materials are filed alphabetically by committee.
    Series II, Correspondence, contains correspondence to and from the association. This correspondence covers a multitude of subjects, from printing the association directory to concerns about zoning changes, membership issues, and restrictions on residential development. This series has been divided into two subseries: General Correspondence (1932-1999) and Ruth Ney (Corresponding Secretary) (1981-1989). Documents are filed chronologically.
    Series III, Special Project Files, includes files and photographs for projects undertaken by the association. These include an historical home survey, an effort to save historic avocado trees, efforts to coordinate with the Hollywood community redevelopment project, a push to save the Frank Lloyd Wright-designed Ennis-Brown house, beautification efforts in the neighborhood and in Griffith Park. Materials have been divided into two subseries: Los Feliz Historical Survey (2001) and LFIA Special Projects (1930-2001), and are filed alphabetically by subject.