Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Finding Aid for the Helen Matthewson Club. Minutes of meetings. 1936-1987.
University Archives Record Series 444  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (53.46 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Access
  • Publication Rights
  • Preferred Citation
  • Historical Note
  • Scope and Content

  • Title: Helen Matthewson Club. Minutes of meetings.
    Identifier/Call Number: University Archives Record Series 444
    Contributing Institution: UCLA Library Special Collections
    Language of Material: English
    Physical Description: 0.8 linear ft. (2 boxes)
    Date: 1936-1987
    Abstract: Record Series 444 contains minutes and bulletins from the Helen Matthewson Club. It also includes minutes from the Phenix board of directors.
    Creator: Helen Matthewson Club. 1923-1965

    Access

    COLLECTION STORED OFF-SITE AT SRLF: Open for research. Advance notice required for access. Contact the UCLA Library Special Collections Reference Desk for paging information.

    Publication Rights

    Copyright of portions of this collection has been assigned to The Regents of the University of California. The UCLA University Archives can grant permission to publish for materials to which it holds the copyright. All requests for permission to publish or quote must be submitted in writing to the UCLA University Archivist.

    Preferred Citation

    [Identification of item], Helen Matthewson Club. Minutes of meetings (University Archives Record Series 444). UCLA Library Special Collections, University Archives.

    Historical Note

    The Helen Matthewson Club (HMC) was established in the fall of 1923 by Dean of Women Helen Matthewson Laughlin as a living cooperative where self supporting University women could enjoy the companionship of others, obtain adequate housing at a fair price, and serve the school and community. The HMC was initially located at Oakwood House near the Vermont Ave. campus of the University of California Southern Branch [UCLA]. With the Fall 1929 opening of UCLA's Westwood campus, the HMC relocated to a new home at 900 Hilgard Ave.
    On June 30, 1950 the HMC house at 900 Hilgard Ave. was "dissolved" and the property used for a new UCLA religious center. With the help of the Helen Matthewson Club Alumnae (HMCA) the remaining HMC active members joined the Phenix Club in Santa Monica. In 1954 the Phenix Club formally merged with the HMC. In 1957 the HMC acquired a house at 820 Levering Ave. As a result of decreasing membership, the Levering Ave. house closed in 1965. In the same year, 1965, the Helen Matthewson Memorial Scholarship fund was established and administered by the HMCA.
    Helen Matthewson Laughlin (b.1881-d.1960) served as the Los Angeles State Normal School Dean of Women (1911-1919) and the UCLA Dean of Women (1919-1946).

    Scope and Content

    Record Series 444 contains minutes and bulletins from the Helen Matthewson Club. It also includes minutes from the Phenix board of directors.
    Acronyms and initialisms appearing in this series include:

    HMC = Helen Matthewson Club

    HMCA = Helen Matthewson Club Alumnae

    UCLA = University of California, Los Angeles
    This is an inactive record series; no additional University records are expected to be added.