Records of the Macaulay Foundry of Berkeley, California, including administrative materials, financial records, records of
the pattern shop, and other assorted materials.
The Macaulay Foundry was founded in San Francisco, California in 1896 by Henry Clayton Macaulay, who had come to California
in 1891. During his first five years in California, Macaulay worked as s molder at the National Iron Works and then as foundry
foreman for the Byron Jackson Machine Works. In 1896, Byron Jackson, faced with a foundry that was an economic liability during
the depression of the 1890s, sold his foundry to Macaulay. The foundry was located on Bluxome Street, in the center of the
city's manufacturing district, and it started making castings primarily for Byron Jackson's Machine Shop and soliciting for
whatever other business was available. Macaulay's early partners in this venture were John Lauffner, Philip McHale and Daniel
Molander. In 1906, the foundry was destroyed in the great earthquake and fire that consumed San Francisco's business and manufacturing
districts. H.C. Macaulay, like many other San Francisco manufacturers at the time, decided to move across the bay. The Macaulay
Foundry was rebuilt on Carleton Street in Berkeley, California. The company was formally incorporated as the H.C. Macaulay
Foundry in 1906. From 1896 until 1937, the Macaulay Foundry's largest customer was the Byron Jackson Machine Works, the largest
pump manufacturer in the West. Other prominent early customers included the Hall-Scott Motor Car Company, the Union Gas Engine
Company, and the American Can Company. Later customers included Pacific Gas and Electric, Hewlett-Packard, Lawrence Livermore
International, and Solar Turbines.
29 linear feet
(14 cartons, 19 volumes, 7 oversize boxes, 7 boxes, 1 oversize folder)
All requests to reproduce, publish, quote from or otherwise use collection materials must be submitted in writing to the Head
of Public Services, The Bancroft Library, University of California, Berkeley, 94720-6000. Consent is given on behalf of The
Bancroft Library as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission from the copyright
owner. Such permission must be obtained from the copyright owner.
Collection is open for research.