•Incorporated by Southern Pacific Company, July 8, 1903, 24.30 miles from Sacramento, south to Walnut Grove, constructed between
January 1906 and March 17, 1912. The road originally was projected from Sacramento to Stockton with one branch from Walnut
Grove to Antioch and another from the main line east to Woodbridge, about eight miles. Neither "branch" was built.
•The line, known as the Walnut Grove Branch, was controlled by the Southern Pacific Company, although title was transferred
to the Central Pacific Railway on February 29, 1912. The Sacramento Southern Railroad Company was dissolved on March 4, 1916.
An extension of 7.8 miles from Walnut Grove to Isleton was opened by the Southern Pacific Company on September 15, 1929, and
an additional three miles to the Mokelumne River was constructed in 1931, only to be abandoned in 1951. [Guy Dunscomb, A
CENTURY OF SOUTHERN PACIFIC STEAM LOCOMOTIVES, 1862-1962 (Modesto, California: 1967), p. 404]
Copyright has not been assigned to the California State Railroad Museum. All requests for permission to publish or quote from
manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Capital District Collections Manager. Permission for publication is given
on behalf of the CSRM as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright
holder, which must also be obtained by the reader.