Western Electric Company photographs
Margaret Herrick Library © 2014
Title: Western Electric Company photographs
Date (inclusive): late 1920s-1950s
Collection number: 1360
Creator: Western Electric Company
Extent: 15.8 linear feet of photographs.
Repository: Margaret Herrick Library. Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
Available by appointment only.
Property rights to the physical object belong to the Margaret Herrick Library. Researchers are responsible for obtaining all necessary rights, licenses, or permissions from the appropriate companies or individuals before quoting from or publishing materials obtained from the library.
Western Electric Company photographs, Margaret Herrick Library, Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
Gift of Technology Council of the Motion Picture-Television Industry, 1993
The Western Electric Company, an American electrical engineering firm, was formed in 1872. In the late 1920s, Western Electric was actively involved in the conversion of theaters from silent to sound films. As the manufacturing arm of ATT, they developed and built a number of adapters and speakers specifically for use in motion picture theaters.
The Western Electric Company photographs span the late 1920s-1950s and encompass 15.8 linear feet. The collection consists of nitrate negatives, safety negatives, and photographic prints depicting equipment, both sound-related and projection-related, manufactured by the Western Electric Company.
Arranged in the following series: 1. Subject photographs
Western Electric Company