The Western Electric Company photographs span the late 1920s-1950s and encompass 15.8 linear feet. The
collection consists of nitrate negatives, safety negatives, and photographic prints depicting equipment,
both sound-related and projection-related, manufactured by the Western Electric Company.
The Western Electric Company, an American electrical engineering firm, was formed in 1872. In the late
1920s, Western Electric was actively involved in the conversion of theaters from silent to sound films.
As the manufacturing arm of ATT, they developed and built a number of adapters and speakers specifically
for use in motion picture theaters.
15.8 linear feet of photographs.
Property rights to the physical object belong to the Margaret Herrick Library. Researchers are
responsible for obtaining all necessary rights, licenses, or permissions from the appropriate companies
or individuals before quoting from or publishing materials obtained from the library.
Available by appointment only.