The collection contains materials related to the development, administration, and activities of the Old San Diego Community
Church, as well as the surrounding Old Town San Diego neighborhood.
The Old San Diego Community Church, also called the Old Town Community Church, was an Evangelical Protestant church founded
in 1941. The plan for the Church stemmed from the results of the 1941 Old Town census which found that the majority of the
area’s families identified as Protestant, but there was no community church in the neighborhood. Original Sunday services
were held in the Old San Diego Chamber of Commerce building until August 1, 1942 when George Marston, a local philanthropist,
helped the Church purchase the Casa de Machado adobe in Old Town. Under Reverend Joseph S. Fox, the adobe was renovated and
renamed the Machado Memorial Chapel. Reverend Fox served the church until 1951, when he retired to do field work for the International
Council of Community Churches. Reverend Fox was later installed as Pastor Emeritus at the Church’s 20th anniversary celebration
0.75 Linear feet
The San Diego History Center (SDHC) holds the copyright to any unpublished materials. SDHC Library regulations do apply.
This collection is open for research.