Adult Education Leadership Training Program Collection at the California Adult Education Archives
Series 1 Adult Education Leadership Directories 1985-1992
Scope and Content Note
- Folder 1. Adult Education Leadership Training Program, Classes of 1998-1992
- Folder 2. Adult Education Leadership Institute, Classes of 1993-1994
Series 2 Third Year Projects, Classes of 1985-1990 1985-1993
Scope and Content Note
- Folder 3. Project Proposals, Classes of 1985-1990, Alphabetically by Participant Name
- Folder 4. Third Year Individual Project Lists, OTAN Online, 1 Sept 1993
Series 3 Third Year Projects, Class of 1986 1986
Scope and Content Note
- Folder 5. Bordelon, Cherry, Redlands Adult, "Building Renovation Plans for Office and Learning Center." Plans to act as a liaison between the Adult School and the Redlands USD Business Office to coordinate plans for the renovation of a former Mexican restaurant to house the Adult School Office and PRIDE Learning Center.
- Folder 6. Fleming, Collette, Grossmont Adult Education, "Adult Education Handbook." A Grossmont Adult Education handbook for teachers that includes materials that will be helpful in successfully conducting classes.
- Folder 7. Kastelic, Rudy, Chula Vista Adult, "New Teacher Orientation Program." A teacher orientation program to provide new teachers with basic information needed to function in the Sweetwater Adult schools, summary only.
- Folder 8. Malaspine, Barbara, Santa Clara Adult, McDowell, Martha, Hayward Adult, "Parent Education Survery." A survey of parent education programs in adult schools throughout California.
- Folder 9. McGowan, Jerry, Watsonville/Aptos Adult, "Reaccreditation." Important steps, tips and suggestions for successful reaccreditation.
- Folder 10. Sherwood, Royal, Martinez Adult, "Guide for Conference Planning." A comprehensive guide for planning and implementing a conference. The guide is complete with all planning guidelines, sample letters, evaluation forms, hotel information, and pre and post plans for the conference.
Series 4 Third Year Projects, Class of 1987 1987
Scope and Content Note
- Folder 11. Arnold, Nancy, Dreier, Jan, Metropolitan Adult Education, "Modular Teacher Orientation Process." A modular teacher orientation process with twelve modules.
- Folder 12. Edwards, Edith, Coachella Valley Adult, "Local Adult Education Fund." Advice on negotiating with district official to assure compliance in use of adult education fund.
- Folder 13. Enrietto, Carole, Clovis Adult, "Self-Esteem." The development of a handbook on self-esteem for Clovis Adult School educators, proposal only, product not found.
- Folder 14. Hannigan, Barbara, Fairfield-Suisun Adult, "Slide Presentation Advertising the Fairfield-Suisun Adult School." For us as a PR tool with service clubs, employers, teachers, board members, proposal only, product not found.
- Folder 15. Keith, Joan, LAUSD, San Pedro/Wilmington Skills Center, "In-Service Programs." The development of a series of in-service programs to improve services to students, summary only.
- Folder 16. Norgaard, Pamela, Mt. Diablo Adult, "Performance Appraisal." Guidelines for performance appraisal of adult education instructors, complete with checklists and guidelines.
- Folder 17. Parulan, Margie, Baldwin Park Adult, "Baldwin Park OTAN Resource Center." Report on one year of activities in 1989-1990 by one of the five new California Adult Education regional resource centers.
- Folder 18. Platt, Allen, LAUSD, Harbor Occupational Center, "Principals' Handbook." A complete handbook for pre-school planning, opening of school, regular program, and preparation for closing and summer school.
- Folder 19. Potts, Betty, Mt. Diablo Adult, "Adult Education Guidelines." The development of a pamphlet that covers many guidelines for the adult school program that can be used with teachers, students, and the community.
- Folder 20. Steele, Nancy, Livermore Adult, "Networking a Computer Lab." Guidelines for networking a computer education instructional lab.
Series 5 Third Year Projects, Class of 1988 1988
Scope and Content Note
- Folder 21. Arenivar, Joseph, Pittsburg Adult, "Teachers Handbook." A handbook for teachers covering all aspects of the adult school operation, including accidents, attendance, fees, goals, hiring procedures, classroom procedures and substitutes.
- Folder 22. Batiste, Dorothy, Moreno Valley Community Adult, "Occupational Literacy." A program to provide a VESL and ABE reading literacy program using Computer Assisted Instruction. Includes course outlines, student syllabus, and resource list.
- Folder 23. Crane, Richard, Vista Adult, "Program to Recruit ESL Students for Adult Education and ROP." Summary of the development of a recruitment program targeting ESL students that utilized a variety of promotional and audio-visual materials.
- Folder 24. Ermert, William E., Riverside Adult and Alternative Education, "Alternative Education Center." The project describes the development and implementation of a full Opportunity School program for middle school students, an Alternative Education Center on a comprehensive high school campus, the establishment of a proactive drop out recovery task force, and drop out prevention in current programs.
- Folder 25. Hardy, William, Simi Valley Adult, "Disaster Preparedness Handbook." A civil defense and disaster preparedness handbook for the Simi Valley Adult School.
- Folder 26. Hendricks, Diane K., Salinas Adult, "Empowerment of Adult Education Leaders." A proposal to enhance the Adult Education Leadership Program by focusing on empowerment. Participants would study the growth of power within three primary systems effecting adult education: the political system, the service consumer, and the service provider.
- Folder 27. Levine, Leslie Dunn, Yucaipa Adult, "Adult School Informational Pamphlet." A tri-fold brochure with information about the adult school to be used to recruit students.
- Folder 28. Locaba, Olga, Pasadena City College, "Plan the Establishment of a Business Technology Lab." The establishment of a fully computerized lab to offer a comprehensive business program to accommodate a minimum of 100 students. Includes planning stages, fiscal impact, and work force readiness.
- Folder 29. Marciano, Daniene, Santa Clara Adult, Community and Vocational Education, "Psychological Aid Manual." A psychological aid manual for all staff members. Topics: interventions-delivering psychologial first aid, general intervention techniques; crisis situations-death and suicide, rape, earthquakes & other natural disasters; classroom and parent resources; selected readings, community resources. TOC & sample pp from 60 page manual.
- Folder 30. Polster, Joan, Sacramento City USD, Fremont School for Adults, "Assessing a Candidate's Ability To Teach." Project products include: information packet for prespective teachers; process for assessing candidate's ability to teach including a demonstration lesson; new teacher orientation handbook; substitute information sheet, and volunteer instructional aide checklist.
- Folder 31. Reyes, Lupe, LAUSD/Division of Adult & Occupational Education, "Personnel Guide for DACE Teachers." A guide for teachers covering tenure, benefits, salary, leaves, substitute hours, etc.
- Folder 32. Swendell, Sharon A., Santa Clara Adult, Community and Vocational Education, "Volunteer Program." Techniques and methods in establishing an effective volunteer program.
- Folder 33. Tahse, Carol, Downey Adult, "Adult Student Leadership Conference." This project was the development and implementation of a leadership conference for adult students. All the forms, letters, flyers, and programs which were used are included in the report.
- Folder 34. Teagle, Tom, Chula Vista adult, "Earthquake Preparedness Plan." The project is a plan for an adult school with materials from a number of resources. The plan tells what to do before, during and after and earthquake. School plant, staff, and students are covered.
- Folder 35. Tobias, Margot Robb, Mt. Diablo Adult, "State Legislation Day." The project is a guide for planning and implementing a State Legislation Day. The guide details all the organizational planning that went into a CCAE sponsored Legislation Day. It includes a timeline, correspondence, information for participants, and some evaluation.
- Folder 36. Upton, Carol, Milpitas Adult, "Education in Industry." This is a brief summary of a program by which an adult school provides remedial programs for industrial companies, with samples of an agreement and an invoice.
- Folder 37. Whitely, Jim, Santa Curz Adutl, "Accreditation Follow-up Report." This is a copy of the school's accreditation follow-up report that details progress on the visiting committee's recommendations.
Series 6 Third Year Projects, Class of 1989 1989
Scope and Content Note
- Folder 38. Angarano, Karen, Hayward Adult, "Substitute Calling Procedures." The project is a handbook of all procedures to be used in the calling of hourly substitute teachers. It covers how to call substitutes, payment procedures for substitutes, credential requirements, and evaluation of substitutes.
- Folder 39. Brannon, Sharon, Montebello Adult, "Teacher Handbook." This is a 58-page handbook for adult education techers including school organization, program descriptions, teacher's responsibilities, employment information/benefits, student attendance reporting, time cards, child care regulations, and maps.
- Folder 40. Gagliardi, Dom, Grossmont Adult, "Establishing an Individualized Learning Lab." The project is a handbook to provide ideas and support materials for beginning and experienced learning lab instructors. Topics that are covered include principles of adult learning, assessment and student placement, learning styles, organizational techniques, and implementation of critical thinking.
- Folder 41. Gonzalez, Lilli Sommer, Humboldt Literacy Project, "Stepping Stones to Adult Education." The project traces the development of the Humboldt Literacy Project and the cooperative efforts with the Eureka Adult School. The appendix contains many of the forms used in the Literacy Project.
- Folder 42. Herr, Michael, Mt. Diablo Adult, "Layoff Procedures for Adult Education Administrators." This is a handbook for administrators covering in detail the layoff process. Relevant sections of the California Education Code and Adult education Handbook are included. Sample forms and letters for the whole process are presented.
- Folder 43. James, Elaine, LAUSD, "Guidelines and Information for Teachers." The project is a one-page pamphlet for teachers describing the division of adult education, the student population, credentialing information, hiring procedures, compensation and benefits, and a phone list of schools and district program and personnel staff.
- Folder 44. Prout, Katherine, Martinez Adult, "Adult Education Handbook for Teachers." The project is a detailed handbook for adult education teachers. It covers all administrative and school regulations with forms. Each instructional area has a section that relates to procedures for that instructional area.
- Folder 45. Seymon, Patty, Hayward Adult, "Teacher's Handbook for Older Adult and Substantially Handicapped Programs." The handbook presents an overview of adult education with goals and job descriptions. The handbook covers every possible item that deals with teachers such as: abuse reporting, leave policies, field trips, fringe benefits, lesson plans, payroll, sexual harassment, and visitors in classrooms.
- Folder 46. Schulz, Jennifer, Norwalk-La Mirada Adult, "Handbook for Adult School Concurrent Administrators." This is a handbook for high school administrators in charge of adult school concurrent classes on high school sites. Major sections are student attendance, teacher attendance, establishing a class, and course outlines.
- Folder 47. Steiger, Sandra L., Milpitas Adult, "Computer Assisted Learning Laboratory." The project describes the evolution of an adult education computer assisted learning laboratory. It includes a course directory for the lab.
- Folder 48. Wada, Michael A., Hacienda La Puente Adult, "Supervisorial Handbook." This is a manual presenting ideas for a successful school leader in working with people and how to manage a budget.
- Folder 49. Yaggie, Norman E., Chula Vista Adult, "Workplace Literacy-A Manual." The project is a manual describing a workplace literacy project. The report describes the efforts of the adult school and the workplace company. Samples of teaching materials are included.
Series 7 Third Year Projects, Class of 1990 1990
Scope and Content Note
- Folder 50. Armbrust, Rochelle, Santa Clara Educational Options, "Disaster Preparedness Handbook." The disaster plan was developed by compiling resource materials from a number of sources and tailoring them to the specific needs of Educational Options. The intent of this material is to provide a vehicle by which students and staff members can be more responsible for themselves and their families in the event of a disaster.
- Folder 51. Carpenter, Diane, Sweetwater ROP, "Career Awareness Center." The brochure describes the services and community linkages of the Sweetwater Career Awareness Center, designed as a "one stop shop" for the delivery of vocational services. The center includes a wide range of services such as: intake and eligibility certification, assessment, skills training, job development, follow-up, and others.
- Folder 52. DeNicola, Beverly, Capistrano Adult, "A Proposed Strategic Plan 1993-2000." The district put together a Blueprint for Excellence which contains the district's beliefs, mission statement, goals, the development process, action team leaders and facilitators, planning team members, and summary of action plans.
- Folder 53. Draper, Patricia, Santa Clara Educational Options, "Family Literacy Start-up Handbook." This handbook is designed to assist newly funded projects with start-up information and projects that are seeking funding with application information. This information will help implement an effective program that will benefit individual communities.
- Folder 54. Dungjen, Sherry, New Haven Adult, "Planning a Public Relations Program." The product includes a 10-step format for developing a public relations program. It has a definition of purpose, general management objectives, problems (and causes) and assets, key publics, general, long range public relations objectives, specific, short-range public relations objectives, public relations actions, calendar of events, evaluation, and budget.
- Folder 55. Grossi, Claudia, Watsonville-Aptos Adult, "Seniority List for Certficated Staff." This report is an effort to bring policies and procedures to be followed by Watsonville/Aptos Adult School in complete alignment with State and local guidelines, and staff worked together to establish a seniority list that has reliability, accuracy, and acceptance. This report seeks to explain the process that was followed, gives samples of forms that were used, and shows the finished product.
- Folder 56. Helm, Bob, Salinas Adult, "Lessons From the Past Three Years-What Is This Leadership Business..?" Personal thoughts from a new supervisor on the transition from teaching to administration, insights gained from the Adult Education Leadership program, and reflections on the meaning of leadership in education.
- Folder 57. Huang, Loretta, Alhambra Adult, "Student Council of San Gabriel Adult Center." The project was to establish a student council to provide a process for student input and an opportunity for students to serve in an advisory capacity for the improvement of the adult education program in a culturally diverse community. The summary discusses the objectives, the process, the accomplishments, and an evaluation of the process of the first two years of the council.
- Folder 58. Longmead, Doris, Huntington Beach Adult, "WASC Accreditation Self-Study Report." The project was a self-study process utilizing community members, school staff, and student groups to determine strengths and weaknesses, and to develop a plan of growth to serve the local constituency. The report describes the process.
- Folder 59. McIntyre, J. Spence, LAUSD, Metropolitan Skills Center, "Student Handbook." The handbook contents include mission statement, administration, operations, counseling, program descriptions, special services, vocational programs, certificates, student regulations, and student body activities.
- Folder 60. Messmer, Bet, Santa Clara Educational Options, "Marching and Mousing Into The 21st Century." This report describes the process that prepares staff members to work with the ESL staff to build their comfort, enthusiasm and expertise in the use of computer and other technical resources. It was to prepare staff not only to use the equipment themselves, but also to assist students to use it.
- Folder 61. Miller, Sharon, Salinas Adult, "ESL Student Council: "Why" and "How To." This report describes the goals, accomplishments, and challenges of setting up an active, successful ESL Student Council. Included is information on how to give ESL students an active role in program descisions, promote leadership, provide a vehicle for fundraising, identify and propose solutions to problems, and increase understanding of school organization and procedures.
- Folder 62. Olson, Pamela, Eureka Adult, "Advertising Survey for Adult School." The student survey incudes basic information questions: age, town, sex, and primary language spoken at home. It asks how the students found out about Eureka Adult School and what local media they listen to or watch. Copy of survey available on request.
- Folder 63. Pereira, Cecelia, Alameda Adult, "A Handbook for Teachers of Older Adults." This is a reference guide for teachers of older adults. Contents include local information and references as well as national references. It contains information on how to start, conduct and maintain a class located in a nursing home environment. Featured are how to and hands on approaches to what can be a unique teaching situation.
- Folder 64. Racey, Charles A., ABE Adult, "Successful Vocational Advisory Council." The report contains complete guidelines for the establishment of a vocational advisory council with an outline of steps to be taken, sample letters and forms, and copies of agendas.
- Folder 65. Sherwood, Diane, Mt. Diablo Adult, "TITLE IV Funds-PELL Grants." The report gives information on the steps necessary to successfully apply for a Title IV Pell Grant. The report contains samples of letters, forms, and a complete application procedure.
- Folder 66. Wilmoth, John, Clovis Adult, "A Program for F-1 Visa Students." The purpose of this report is to provide other adult educators with information about the design and operation of the Clovis Adult F-1 Visa Student Program and a summary of the federal, state, and local regulations pertaining to serving F-1 visa students.
Series 8 Third Year Projects, Class of 1991 1991
Scope and Content Note
- Folder 1. Third Year Project Proposals
- Folder 2. Deutsch, Stephen R., Grossmont Adult, "Graduation Ceremony Procedures." This is a complete guide for adult school graduation ceremonies including procedures, sample lists, forms, letters, and programs, 50 p.
- Folder 3. Ingraham, Gary, Porterville Adult, "Attendance Record Practices in Computer Labs." The project reports on computer lab attendance practices based on responses from 50 adult schools that responded to a survey. Sample forms are included.
- Folder 4. Khoshbariie, Gail, Metropolitan Adult Education Program, "Marketing Concepts for Adult Education Programs." This report outlines the concepts of public relations and advertising and the components of a marketing plan. Included are a wide variety of sample marketing materials.
- Folder 5. Roberts, Craig, Hacienda La Puente Adult, "One Man's Guide to Personal Wellness." Healthy eating and exercise guide.
- Folder 6. Uden, Bill, Grossmont Adult, "Substitute Manual." The report contains a summary, table of contents, and sample pages only.
Series 8 Third Year Projects, Class of 1992 1992
Scope and Content Note
- Folder 7. Bigham, Ken, Golden Sierra Job Training Agency, "Hardware Selection Guide." This guide details factors to consider when making computer hardware decisions including software availability, computer capability, networking options, technical support, security, student work station configuration, environmental concerns, peripherals, upgrade ability, ease of use, installation and wiring, cost, short term and long term budgets, staff development, and evaluation. Resource list.
- Folder 8. Hamilton, Kathy, Elk Grove Adult, "Setting Up an ESL Language Lab." The project describes the process of developing a quality ESL computer lab.
- Folder 9. Lynch, Susan H., Fresno Adult, "Faculty Handbook." The project is a detailed faculty handbook with basic information, general classroom procedures, special procedures related to different classes, and emergency procedures.
- Folder 10. Ronning, Nelius N., Monrovia Community Adult, "Staff Handbook." The project is a detailed staff handbook with general information, instructional information, and emergency information.
- Folder 11. West, Linda L., Outreach and Technical Assistance Network, "Four Year Evaluation Report." The project is a 41-page report summarizing four years of OTAN activity in four components-outreach, training, accessing information, and network.
Series 10 Sample Participant Notebook, Linda L. West, Class of 1992 1992-1994
Scope and Content Note
- Folder 12. Program publicity, participant application package.
- Folder 13. First Year Institute, 1992 July 8-10, Kellogg West, Cal Poly Pomona Agenda, Handouts. Topics: Overview, team building situational leadership, leadership styles, history of adult education, how to run effective meetings, conflict resolution.
- Folder 14. Fall Workshop, 1992 November 2, ACSA/AAACE Conferences Agenda, Handouts. Topics: Homework reports on application of leadership style info; how the legislature works, interviewing techinques, adult ed program reports.
- Folder 15. Winter Workshop, 1993 March 10, CBE/LeARN Conferences Agenda, Handouts. Topics: Homework report on application of legislative information and/or job interview, adult ed program reports, introduction of third year action plans, CDE update and presentation on the CA Adult Education Strategic Plan by Gerald Kilbert and Lynda Smith.
- Folder 16. Spring Workshop, 1993 April 29, CCAE Conference Agenda, Handouts. Topics: Reports on following up on strategic plan information, adult ed program reports, third year project presentations, volunteer handbook.
- Folder 17. Second Year Academy, 1993 July 7-9, Kellogg West, Cal Poly Pomona Agenda, Handouts. Topics: Leadership characteristics and skills.
- Folder 18. Fall Workshop, 1993 October 27, ACSA Workshop Agenda, Handouts. Topics: Interview techniques.
- Folder 19. Winter Workshop, 1994 February 1, CBE/LeARN Conference Agenda, Handouts. Topics: Homework reports on interviewing; winning people over.
- Folder 20. Correspondence on conclusion of Class of 1992 activities.