The B'nai B'rith, District Grand Lodge No. 4 records document an extensive history of Jewish programming and community service
from one of the most important Jewish organizations in North America.
In 1843, Henry Jones and 11 other German-Jewish immigrants gathered in New York's Lower East Side to confront the plight and
condition of Jews in the United States - giving birth to the organization, B'nai B'rith. The original members' first concrete
action was to create an insurance policy that awarded members' widows $30 toward funeral expenses and a stipend of one dollar
a week for the rest of their lives. It is from this basis of humanitarian aid and service that a system of fraternal lodges
and chapters grew in the United States and, eventually, around the world.
Number of containers: 31 cartons, 22 oversize boxes, 1 oversize folder, 1 box
Linear feet: 48 linear feet
Materials in this collection may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.). In addition, the reproduction
of some materials may be restricted by terms of University of California gift or purchase agreements, donor restrictions,
privacy and publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by copyright beyond
that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of without permission of the copyright owner. Responsibility for
any use rests exclusively with the user.
Collection is open for research.