Helen Matthewson Club. Audio tapes. 1959; n.d.
Finding aid prepared by University Archives staff, 1991 Feb; finding aid revised by Katharine A. Lawrie, 2013 Jul; machine-readable finding aid created by Katharine A. Lawrie and Caroline Cubé, 2013 Jul.
UCLA Library Special Collections©1991 Feb
Room A1713, Charles E. Young Research Library
Los Angeles, CA, 90095-1575
Title: Helen Matthewson Club. Audio tapes.
Identifier/Call Number: University Archives Record Series 442
Contributing Institution: UCLA Library Special Collections
Language of Material: English
Physical Description: 0.4 linear ft. (1 box)
Date: 1959; n.d.
Creator: Helen Matthewson Club. 1923-
COLLECTION STORED OFF-SITE AT SRLF: Open for research. Advance notice required for access. Contact the UCLA Library Special Collections Reference Desk for paging information.
Copyright of portions of this collection has been assigned to The Regents of the University of California. The UCLA University Archives can grant permission to publish for materials to which it holds the copyright. All requests for permission to publish or quote must be submitted in writing to the UCLA University Archivist.
[Identification of item], Helen Matthewson Club. Audio tapes (University Archives Record Series 442). UCLA Library Special Collections, University Archives.
The Helen Matthewson Club (HMC) was established in the fall of 1923 by Dean of Women Helen Matthewson Laughlin as a living cooperative where self supporting University women could enjoy the companionship of others, obtain adequate housing at a fair price, and serve the school and community. The HMC was initially located at Oakwood House near the Vermont Ave. campus of the University of California Southern Branch [UCLA]. With the Fall 1929 opening of UCLA's Westwood campus, the HMC relocated to a new home at 900 Hilgard Ave.
On June 30, 1950 the HMC house at 900 Hilgard Ave. was "dissolved" and the property used for a new UCLA religious center. With the help of the Helen Matthewson Club Alumnae (HMCA) the remaining HMC active members joined the Phenix [sic] Club in Santa Monica. In 1954 the Phoenix Club formally merged with the HMC. In 1957 the HMC acquired a house at 820 Levering Ave. As a result of decreasing membership, the Levering Ave. house closed in 1965. In the same year, 1965, the Helen Matthewson Memorial Scholarship fund was established and administered by the HMCA.
Helen Matthewson Laughlin (b.1881-d.1960) served as the Los Angeles State Normal School Dean of Women (1911-1919) and the UCLA Dean of Women (1919-1946).
Record Series 442 contains audio tapes generated by the Helen Matthewson Club. Files include one 7" audio tape and several audio cassettes of oral history and speeches by Helen Matthewson, as well as music.
This is an inactive record series; no additional University records are expected to be added.