Finding Aid for the Helen Matthewson Club. History notebooks.
Finding aid prepared by University Archives staff, 1991 Feb; finding aid revised by Katharine A. Lawrie, 2013 Jul; machine-readable
finding aid created by Katharine A. Lawrie and Caroline Cubé, 2013 Jul.
UCLA Library Special Collections
Room A1713, Charles E. Young Research Library
Los Angeles, CA, 90095-1575
Title: Helen Matthewson Club. History notebooks.
Identifier/Call Number: University Archives Record Series 443
UCLA Library Special Collections
Language of Material:
0.8 linear ft.
Record Series 443 contains the history notebooks of the Helen Matthewson Club.
Helen Matthewson Club. 1923-
COLLECTION STORED OFF-SITE AT SRLF: Open for research. Advance notice required for access. Contact the UCLA Library Special
Collections Reference Desk for paging information.
Copyright of portions of this collection has been assigned to The Regents of the University of California. The UCLA University
Archives can grant permission to publish for materials to which it holds the copyright. All requests for permission to publish
or quote must be submitted in writing to the UCLA University Archivist.
[Identification of item], Helen Matthewson Club. History notebooks (University Archives Record Series 443). UCLA Library Special
Collections, University Archives.
The Helen Matthewson Club (HMC) was established in the fall of 1923 by Dean of Women Helen Matthewson Laughlin as a living
cooperative where self supporting University women could enjoy the companionship of others, obtain adequate housing at a fair
price, and serve the school and community. The HMC was initially located at Oakwood House near the Vermont Ave. campus of
the University of California Southern Branch [UCLA]. With the Fall 1929 opening of UCLA's Westwood campus, the HMC relocated
to a new home at 900 Hilgard Ave.
On June 30, 1950 the HMC house at 900 Hilgard Ave. was "dissolved" and the property used for a new UCLA religious center.
With the help of the Helen Matthewson Club Alumnae (HMCA) the remaining HMC active members joined the Phenix [sic] Club in
Santa Monica. In 1954 the Phoenix Club formally merged with the HMC. In 1957 the HMC acquired a house at 820 Levering Ave.
As a result of decreasing membership, the Levering Ave. house closed in 1965. In the same year, 1965, the Helen Matthewson
Memorial Scholarship fund was established and administered by the HMCA.
Helen Matthewson Laughlin (b.1881-d.1960) served as the Los Angeles State Normal School Dean of Women (1911-1919) and the
UCLA Dean of Women (1919-1946).
Scope and Content
Record Series 443 contains the history notebooks of the Helen Matthewson Club. Files contain articles, photographs, drafts
for a book of the club's history, and other documents relating to the Helen Matthewson Club.
Acronyms and Initialisms appearing in this series include:
- HMC = Helen Matthewson Club
- HMCA = Helen Matthewson Club Alumnae
This is an inactive record series; no additional University records are expected to be added.
Articles and documents.
Articles, photographs, and questionnaire.
First draft of book four.
First draft of book one and two.
First draft of book three.
History book six. Operations.
Phenix Club history. Merger with Matthewson Club.
Second draft of history book four.
Second draft of history.