Guide to the Anderson Collection at Stanford University: Groundbreaking Ceremony keepsake book
Stanford University Libraries. Dept. of Special Collections & University Archives. Stanford University Libraries. Dept. of Special Collections & University Archives.March 2014
Copyright © 2014 The Board of Trustees of the Leland Stanford Junior University. All rights reserved.
Call Number: SCM0434
Title: Anderson Collection at Stanford University: Groundbreaking Ceremony keepsake book
Dates: 2012 Oct 9
Physical Description: 0.02 Linear feet (1 volume)
Summary: Bound keepsake volume from the Anderson Collection groundbreaking ceremony held October 9, 2012 at Stanford University.
Language(s): The materials are inEnglish.
Physical Location: Special Collections and University Archives materials are stored offsite and must be paged 36-48 hours in advance. For more information on paging collections, see the department's website: http://library.stanford.edu/spc.
Repository: Dept. of Special Collections & University Archives.
Stanford University Libraries.
557 Escondido Mall
Stanford, CA 94305-6064
Phone: (650) 725-1022
On October 9, 2012 Stanford University broke ground on the Anderson Collection building, which will house the private art collection of Harry W. Anderson, Mary Margaret Anderson, and Mary Patricia Anderson Pence. The Anderson Collection building is adjacent to the Cantor Arts Center and the McMurtry Building for Art and Art History. The Anderson Gallery is anticipated to open in late 2014.
The Anderson Collection at Stanford will contain 121 works by 86 artists, including some of the foremost examples of post-World War II American art in public and private hands. The collection is anchored in the work of the New York School and key modern and contemporary artists collected in depth, across media. Major movements represented include Abstract Expressionism, Color Field Painting, Post-Minimalism, California Funk Art, Bay Area Figurative Art, Light and Space and contemporary painting and sculpture.
Some of the Anderson Collection works being donated to Stanford include:
Willem de Kooning: Woman Standing – Pink (1954-55) and Untitled (1986) Richard Diebenkorn: Ocean Park #60 (1973) Sam Francis: Red in Red (1955) Philip Guston: The Coat II (1977) and The Tale (1961) Ellsworth Kelly: Black Ripe (1955) Franz Kline: Figure 8 (1952) Morris Louis: #64 (1958) John McLaughlin: #13 (1962) Joan Mitchell: "Before, Again IV (1985) David Park: Four Women (1959) Jackson Pollock: Lucifer (1947) Ad Reinhardt: Abstract Painting (1966) Mark Rothko: Untitled - Black on Gray (1969) and Pink and White over Red (1957) David Smith: Timeless Clock (1957) Frank Stella: Zeltweg (1981) Clyfford Still: 1957-J No. 1 (1947) Wayne Thiebaud: Candy Counter (1962)
Text Excerpted from http://news.stanford.edu/news/2011/june/cantor-anderson-collection-061411.html
Bound keepsake volume includes photographs from the Anderson Collection groundbreaking ceremony held October 9, 2012 at Stanford University. Also included are quotations from speakers John W. Etchemendy, Alex Nemerov, and Roberta Denning. Cover is a computer-generated depiction of the Anderson Collection building.
Anderson Pence, Mary Patricia (Putter)
Anderson, Harry W. (Hunk)
Anderson, Mary Margaret (Moo)
Denning, Roberta Bowman
Etchemendy, John, 1952-
Iris & B. Gerald Cantor Center for Visual Arts at Stanford University
Stanford Arts Institute.
American art--20th century.