Scope and Contents
Call Number: SCM0434
Title: Anderson Collection at Stanford University: Groundbreaking Ceremony keepsake book
Dates: 2012 Oct 9
0.02 Linear feet (1 volume)
Summary: Bound keepsake volume from the Anderson Collection groundbreaking ceremony held October 9, 2012 at Stanford University.
Language(s): The materials are in English.
Physical Location: Special Collections and University Archives materials are stored offsite and must be paged 36-48 hours in advance. For more
information on paging collections, see the department's website: http://library.stanford.edu/spc.
Department of Special Collections and University Archives
557 Escondido Mall
Stanford, CA 94305-6064
Phone: (650) 725-1022
This collection was given to Stanford University, Special Collections in 2013.
Information about Access
The materials are open for research use. Audio-visual materials are not available in original format, and must be reformatted
to a digital use copy.
Ownership & Copyright
All requests to reproduce, publish, quote from, or otherwise use collection materials must be submitted in writing to the
Head of Special Collections and University Archives, Stanford University Libraries, Stanford, California 94305-6064. Consent
is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission
from the copyright owner. Such permission must be obtained from the copyright owner, heir(s) or assigns. See: http://library.stanford.edu/spc/using-collections/permission-publish.
Restrictions also apply to digital representations of the original materials. Use of digital files is restricted to research
and educational purposes.
[identification of item], Anderson Collection at Stanford University: Groundbreaking Ceremony keepsake book (SCM0434). Dept.
of Special Collections and University Archives, Stanford University Libraries, Stanford, Calif.
On October 9, 2012 Stanford University broke ground on the Anderson Collection building, which will house the private art
collection of Harry W. Anderson, Mary Margaret Anderson, and Mary Patricia Anderson Pence. The Anderson Collection building
is adjacent to the Cantor Arts Center and the McMurtry Building for Art and Art History. The Anderson Gallery is anticipated
to open in late 2014.
The Anderson Collection at Stanford will contain 121 works by 86 artists, including some of the foremost examples of post-World
War II American art in public and private hands. The collection is anchored in the work of the New York School and key modern
and contemporary artists collected in depth, across media. Major movements represented include Abstract Expressionism, Color
Field Painting, Post-Minimalism, California Funk Art, Bay Area Figurative Art, Light and Space and contemporary painting and
Some of the Anderson Collection works being donated to Stanford include:
Willem de Kooning: Woman Standing – Pink (1954-55) and Untitled (1986) Richard Diebenkorn: Ocean Park #60 (1973) Sam Francis:
Red in Red (1955) Philip Guston: The Coat II (1977) and The Tale (1961) Ellsworth Kelly: Black Ripe (1955) Franz Kline: Figure
8 (1952) Morris Louis: #64 (1958) John McLaughlin: #13 (1962) Joan Mitchell: "Before, Again IV (1985) David Park: Four Women
(1959) Jackson Pollock: Lucifer (1947) Ad Reinhardt: Abstract Painting (1966) Mark Rothko: Untitled - Black on Gray (1969)
and Pink and White over Red (1957) David Smith: Timeless Clock (1957) Frank Stella: Zeltweg (1981) Clyfford Still: 1957-J
No. 1 (1947) Wayne Thiebaud: Candy Counter (1962)
Text Excerpted from http://news.stanford.edu/news/2011/june/cantor-anderson-collection-061411.html
Scope and Contents
Bound keepsake volume includes photographs from the Anderson Collection groundbreaking ceremony held October 9, 2012 at Stanford
University. Also included are quotations from speakers John W. Etchemendy, Alex Nemerov, and Roberta Denning. Cover is a computer-generated
depiction of the Anderson Collection building.
Anderson Pence, Mary Patricia (Putter)
Anderson, Harry W. (Hunk)
Anderson, Mary Margaret (Moo)
Denning, Roberta Bowman
Etchemendy, John, 1952-
Iris & B. Gerald Cantor Center for Visual Arts at Stanford University
Stanford Arts Institute.
American art--20th century.