Scope and content
Title: William C. and Frank M. Parcher Papers,
Identifier/Call Number: MS.596
Autry National Center, Braun Research Library
Language of Material:
0.75 Linear feet
(1 box); 1oversized folder
Date (inclusive): 1911-1931
The collection consists of the documents of father and son, William C. and Frank M. Parcher from 1911 to 1931. William’s portion
includes documents from his time with the Bishop Chamber of Commerce circa 1918-1921. Frank’s portion includes professional
documents from his time at the Southwest Museum and his writing on Native Americans of Eastern California. William C. Parcher
was father to Frank M. Parcher. William C. Parcher, born circa 1873 and died 1945, was the secretary of the Bishop Chamber
of Commerce from circa 1918 to 1921. In 1920, he opened Parcher’s Rainbow Camp, which to this day, still functions as a resort.
Granquist, Genevieve C., fl. 1928.
Parcher, Frank M., 1903-1974
Parcher, William C., 1873-1945
William C. and Frank M. Parcher Papers, 1911-1931, Braun Research Library Collection, Autry National Center, Los Angeles, CA: MS. 596, [folder number] [folder title][date].
Presumably, Frank M. Parcher left these documents to the Braun. It is unknown when they were donated, as the library’s records
have no information.
Collection previously partially processed by Glenna Schroeder circa 1977-1981. Finding aid completed by Braun Research Library
volunteer Lisa Bechtold, February- April 2011. Final processing of collection and publication of finding aid made possible
by a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
William C. Parcher was father to Frank M. Parcher, who inherited his father’s papers to form this collection. William C. Parcher
(circa 1873-1945), was the secretary of the Bishop Chamber of Commerce (circa 1918- 1921) and in 1920, he opened Parcher’s
Rainbow Camp, which to this day, still functions as a resort. He was married to Marie Louise Parcher and they had two sons,
Ward Parcher and Frank M. Parcher, both who would be involved in the resort, Ward more so than Frank.
In addition to working with the Bishop Chamber of Commerce, William previously worked with the Los Angeles Times and later
bought the Owens Valley Herald and the Inyo Independent.
Frank M. Parcher (1903-1974) was born in Los Angeles, California. His early life was divided between the Inyo and Los Angeles
areas. In 1928, Frank founded the Eastern California Museum in Independence, California. From 1930 August to 1932 March, he
served as the Assistant Secretary at the Southwest Museum from which he conducted research on the Native American tribes of
eastern California. He spent much of his middle to later life working as a public servant to the Native American tribes of
eastern California and Nevada, with the American Red Cross, the Owens Valley Indian Rehabilitation Project, and the Federal
Civil Defense Administration.
His first wife was Genevieve C. Granquist, dates of marriage unknown, with whom he had a daughter, Harriet Mary Granquist.
Genevieve died and Frank later remarried Florence Parcher (Florence's maiden name is unknown).
Scope and content
The collection consists of the documents of father and son, William C. and Frank M. Parcher. William’s portion includes documents
from his time with the Bishop Chamber of Commerce circa 1918-1921. Items include correspondence, institutional records, ephemera,
news clippings, government reports, and realia related to Owens Valley, Owens Valley, Inyo County, Bishop Chamber of Commerce,
California water history, and the Los Angeles Aqueduct.
Frank’s portion includes professional documents from his time at the Southwest Museum and his writing on Native Americans
of eastern California. Items include correspondence; financial documents; literary manuscripts; and a newspaper article. Frank’s
papers also include his and Genevieve's notes on eastern California Indians; Genevieve's personal papers; four maps of California;
and Frank's writings on Owens Valley.
- Series 1: William C. Parcher Papers, 1918-1931
- Series 2: Frank M. Parcher Papers, 1928-1931
- Series 3: Genevieve C. Granquist papers, 1928, undated
- Series 4: Maps and realia, 1911, 1917, undated
Copyright has not been assigned to the Autry National Center. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts
must be submitted in writing to the Autry Archivist. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Autry National Center
as the custodian of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must
also be obtained by the reader.
Collection is open for research. Appointments to view materials are required. To make an appointment please visit http://theautry.org/research/research-rules-and-application
or contact library staff at email@example.com. An item-level inventory is available from library staff.
Subjects and Indexing Terms
Bishop Chamber of Commerce (Bishop, Calif.).
Southwest Museum (Los Angeles, Calif.)
Indians of North America -- California.
Inyo County (Calif.)
Owens Valley (Calif.)
Parcher's Rainbow Camp (Bishop, Calif.)
Receipts (financial records).
Water use -- California.